healthy meals

I need advice for feeding my picky eaters. How did you get your children to change their eating habits/try new foods? I made the mistake of serving them something different from us- grilled cheese, chicken nuggets, mac 'n cheese, french toast, etc instead o serving them what we had for dinner. Now if I try to serve them something diferent there are tears from my preschooler and my toddler throws it on the ground. Very frustrating! You can criticize and bash if you want to, but I am asking for advice, so please be courteous if you wish to reply.
If they do not eat what I serve them, what do you suggest? Thanks for any and all replies. Just trying to be the best Mom that I can be and that is why I am asking for help/advice.

2coolmama

Asked by 2coolmama at 9:31 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I have a picky eater. I serve dinner he knows that I will give him small amounts of everything. If he does not eat I will not serve him anything else. He will dived the amount of food he has and I will agree that's all he has to eat. It makes him feel that he is in control of his food.
    oneill8

Answer by oneill8 at 9:38 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I ask him to help me set up the table, he gets all exited, and sometimes he even helps me prepar his plate, this way he has eaten more than anyother day when I try to feed him the same type of food but I don't have him take a part of it. So, you can always try something new. Good luck
    jcampos

Answer by jcampos at 9:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• They eat what we eat. Period. If they don't like it, the option is a PLAIN peanut butter sandwich and milk. They have not chosen this option for a long time. They eat just about anything. And make sure that they are HUNGRY at mealtime. Children get too many snacks, so if something doesn't thrill them, they'll skip it, knowing something different will come around soon enough. Your children will NOT starve themselves ladies!!! If they get hungry enough- they will eat it!!! LOLRed bell peppers are my 7 yo's favorite food. My younger dd LOVES mac n chz- so I get Annie's, or organic, and she has to eat salad with her favorite blueberry/pomegran dressing before she gets it. Talk up the nutrition- what it will do for their body- kids are interested in stuff like that.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 1:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• well i think u shouldn let pick evertime it does make sence that u cook for u and yr husband and they eat another food they should used to eat what u cook if they r not happy their problem by time they will get used to ear what u cook
    but ofcourse from time to time u cook the things they like but don make them get used to refuse every time u cook the food u do either this or not this is what u should do
    fire

Answer by fire at 6:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I let my kids help me make certain things that i am not sure if they will eat it or not and than they are excited about the meal they made they will eat it i make a big deal like last try the amazing meal you two made or i save it put it in the fridge just like it is and if they are hungry enough they will eat it,it works plus i make them try two bites of everything if they don't like it i find out why and what i can do to make it better.GOOD LUCK!!I hope something works for you.
    mrsmalark

Answer by mrsmalark at 9:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2008