Same Sex Marriage

My question to those who are against same sex marriage is this: how would you feel if because you and your partner both have the same color eyes or hair you couldn't be "married"? I was born blonde haired, blue eyed and straight. My friend was born with black hair, brown eyes and a lesbian. So why can't she get married, but i can. We are born the way we are born.
Or what if straight marriage was banned and only same sex marriages were legal, you could still have a civil union, but would you be satisfied?
Why shouldn't everyone (of consenting age and mental abilities) be allowed to MARRY the person that they fell in love with?

r2mommy

Asked by r2mommy at 9:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Ahmen!!! I completely agree. My major point on it is what the hell does it matter to "straights". Is it hindering your rights to be married, or getting in your way at all? No its not. If you don't like it don't look. Whats next, banning gays from showing any affection in public?

It isn't hurting you and I so why is it a big deal?
    KlieneMutter

Answer by KlieneMutter at 9:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I confused, no one is saying that gays can't get married.

They can definitely get married! As long as it is someone of the opposite.

We all HAVE THE EXACT SAME RIGHTS. I couldn't marry someone of the same sex just like they can't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I don't believe you are "born" into being gay/lesbian. My beliefs tell me that it's a sin and perversion. Your body parts don't go together, it's unnatural. I don't hate gays or lesbians. I'm perfectly tolerant, but that doesn't mean that I will just close my eyes to what I believe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I dont believe in it. I think marriage should be between man and woman not woman woman or man man. That is how god made it thats how it is supposed to be. I dont think a brown haired person marrying another brown haired person is even a close comparison thats just stupid.
    Anonymous

• Well I don't have an answer to that however I do want to say that I agree with you totally. I was raised by gay parents, and they did not have that option to be married or not, back then it wasn't even considered. All I have to say for all of the critics out there is this....I did not turn out gay like some people thinks happens, I never wanted or needed anything as a child, and my parents are still together 30 years later, while most of my friends with straight parents, have come from broken homes
    tlc7376

Answer by tlc7376 at 9:47 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• How is it stupid to compare two traits that a person is born with? And yes my friend could marry a man and be legally married, but she would be miserable and with someone she doesn't love. Why shouldn't everyone be married for LOVE?
    How can you say that you are tolerant, but that someone else being happy and in love is a sin and unnatural?
    r2mommy

Answer by r2mommy at 9:57 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I wouldn't see anything wrong with same sex marriges it's not harming anyone and it's no one elses buisness what happens behind closed doors. If you love someone you should be able to marry them. I guess a different way to compare gay marrige would be to interracial marriges because that's allowed and yet can be controversial just like gay marrige. I think only some people are born gay because there are children who are born one gender but feel like the other (transgender) and that they can't help. Yes true god made men and women to reproduce but I don't see how it's a sin. Sorry but some things the bible says is just bull like Mary was a virgina come on how is that possible and that it's a sin to have sex out of wedlock why should that matter if you love someone. It's not my thing but let them do as they please.
    Lizzie32390

Answer by Lizzie32390 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• 2nd anon here: I AM tolerant. I'm not out bashing gays and damning them to hell. I know gay people and get along fine with them. It's not my place to judge. I didn't say someone being happy and in love was a sin...I said that being gay was a sin...and according to MY beliefs it is. I won't be teaching my children that it's natural and "ok" to be homosexual. IF, big if, they decide later in life that's what they want to do I'm not going to disown them, but that doesn't mean I won't try to direct them to the parts in the Bible that says it's a sin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• she can get married any time she wants. as long as it is with a man. and besides who cares about the paper document, a good portion of marrieds dont. she can live for the rest of her life living with the same sex partner any way she wishes to anywhere she wishes to. just not legally married. don't start putting financial issues on the relationship like insurance and retirement, love isn't supposed to be about money, if they love each other they can overcome those barriers. right??
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 10:14 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Why is it such a big deal when CA denies same sex marriage but, it was not a big deal when other states did it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:19 AM on Nov. 10, 2008