About how much would you say you spent on a vacation trip for yourself and your family? Where did you go and what form of transportation did you use?

momplus01

Asked by momplus01 at 12:58 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Travel

• I live in Las Vegas, so it's really convenient for us to drive to Southern California. We went probably a dozen times over the summer, and it was really reasonable. Depending on how many days we stayed, it was $300-$600 each time for a hotel, gas, and food. We also spend about $500-$600 a year for yearly passes to the San Diego Zoo and Knott's Berry Farm. We love roller coasters!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:06 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• We fly out to CA every spring break; we're a family of 4 from the midwest and it costs us about $5,000 for one week (airfare, hotel, food, rental car, extras ...).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It depends on what we do and where we go. I drive the kids to Los Angeles from Denver every summer for 2-3 weeks total, with all meals, hotels, attractions we spend about $2500.

When we go overseas to visit DH's sisters, it is $5000 just to get us there. Then there is renting an apartment and car for a month, gas, food, attractions. It can easily get to $8-10,000, which is why we only go every 6 years or so.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• We are thinking about heading to Disneyland. We plan on spending about $1500. $500 on has to get there. $400 on admission. $300 on lodging which we plan on staying in out camper for the week. Then $300 on food which we plan on cooking and doing sandwiches. We try to keep things as cheaply as possible.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• We drove to Disney world from Ohio last year. Besides gas, we spent $300 for a week in a timeshare condo(www.vrbo.com). Then, drove to Downtown Disney. From there you can take the busses free to all the parks. We packed lunches in backpacks and ate lunch at park and at the condo for dinner. My hubby got his ticket free ( home from 14 month deployment on midtour). And the kids and my tickets were $99. For a 3'day pass we did an entire week for under 1000. Each child rec. shop $ too. Not including gas. For gas, I cashed in USAA rewards (checking account shopping rewards) and received over $500 in gas cards, restaurant cards, etc.
    This past summer we RV'd our way from Ohio to Alaska. It was a move we turned into a vacay. 3 weeks Conus, Canada, Alaska... About $100/ day ( gas, campsite, groceries). Now in Canada~ gas, groceries, campsites were insanely expensive and crappy. I don't rec. Canada. Good Luck!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:05 AM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Hubby and I also did Hawaii this past summer.... Cheap flights if you can be flexible with flying dates. We also rented a condo via vrbo.com. Couples retreat ( 5 days) in paradise for under $1000.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:08 AM on Dec. 30, 2010