Would you respond to a verbal attack on yourself if happened when you weren't there?

For the past two years, I've not attended my inlaws Christmas. There are various reasons why, but the main one is simple; I do not like them. DH and I are fine with the arrangement. When he got home today, he told me that his family talked crap about me. They blamed me for his lack of religious beliefs for one. My MIL stayed in an abusive relationship for 20 some odd years with my alcoholic FIL while he was in and out of prison and when DH told his Mom she should have left him years before she did, they said he was in the same situation~ I am bipolar and it escalated a few years ago (not in a dangerous way) and we separated for a few months and got back together. I don't know if that means they think we should have gotten divorced or what. Thankfully, he took up for me because their claims were stupid, but I'm extremely upset. My cousin's opinion was that saying anything about their attack on my character would let on that it affected me, but it's safe to say any one would be upset by it. Would you bother saying any thing and what would you say if you did?

Mrs.B3

Asked by Mrs.B3 at 1:17 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, I would just continue to have nothing to do with them. AT ALL. Im the type of person to keep my mouth shut until I have a reason. If some says something to me to piss me off directly...then I will bring up whatever need be. Until they personally say anything to you, id leave it alone.
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 1:23 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• They are just trying to get your goat, maybe your dh should refuse to attend family gatherings at his parents until they wise up a little, and he can tell them why. Like: No Mom, I'm not coming to dinner this year, because I don't appreciate your lack of respect for my wife. I'm tired of spending my holidays separated from her because my family can not accept the woman I love. Period.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 1:41 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Just be thankful you don't have to be around them.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 4:09 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• no, my grandfather i guess said something stupid about me awhile ago. it made no sense to me to make what he said worth my rebuttle whatsoever, some people LOVE the back and forth and bc of that i won't give them the benefit.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:20 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• i hope that came out right and makes sense lol
    JakesCupcake

• Yeah, I mean, I've thought about that, but it kinda seems like they'd think I either didn't know or that it was okay to talk crap.
    Mrs.B3

Comment by Mrs.B3 (original poster) at 1:24 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yes, it made sense. LOL!
    Mrs.B3

Comment by Mrs.B3 (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• if you are happy not going there so keep been happy dear , don't give them what they want ever ;)
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 8:49 AM on Dec. 27, 2010