How can i tell if my child has autism? what are the symptoms?

daisy112

Asked by daisy112 at 1:22 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• There are different levels/degrees to autisim. The best thing you can do is to research the condition. Get books on autisim. My nephew has it. For him, he doesnt communicate. He is three and does not talk. He hits his head against the ground over and over again when he is tired/angry/board. He hears you but doesnt react to whatever your telling him. He does not do imaginative play.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 2:12 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I agree with the previous poster. There are such varying degrees that it's really best that you research and talk to your doctor. My son is on the spectrum (PDD-NOS), but does not have the "classic" signs that even Autism Speaks mentions on their site (meeting milestones late, delay in speech, not making eye contact, etc). It would help if we knew what your particular concerns were.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 3:20 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My son is autistic. Classic signs include: not making eye contact, lining up toys, not responding to his name when he is called, not talking, spinning, sensitivity to sound.
    You can have him evaluated for free by your states Early Intervention program if he is under 3.
    I urge you to find out. The earlier you find out, the earlier you can begin therapy for him. Kids who start therapy before the age of 5 have a much brighter future ahead of them.
    Good luck!
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 10:14 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My son is living with autism. My best suggestion to learn about autism is to go to www.autismspeaks.org. Lots of information there! Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:41 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• There are a ton of websites, groups, etc, but you would have to get your child evaluated by a professional to be able to know for sure.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• The Autism Spectrum is not a "cookie cutter disorder" where everyone is the same, it is big and broad and can be unique to each person. (so what my son does yours may/may not do). If you think that your child is showing signs of Autism, I would suggest you have a professional evaluate your child. Then if your child does have Autism, find out what therapies or early intervention programs are available in your area. Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Id have a professional check him out.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2010