How do you teach manners without

constantly nagging about them? (to a 7yo boy)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Teach them the same way you teach your children to say words when they are babies....when you offer something like a meal, hand it to them and say "thank you" and let go of the plate only when they repeat it to you. When they ask for something, say "please" and get it for them only when they repeat it. I don't remember where I read this, but they were saying that it takes the "average child" 18 times to learn something. So I guess patience is the key! GL!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:42 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I agree with Babylove76. I've been doing this with my 2 year old and she alway says please, thank you, your welcome, bless you, sorry, excuse me
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:26 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• kids also learn by imitation. If you are not polite, they won't be either.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:45 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• By modeling good manners and complimenting them when you catch them doing something right!
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:08 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Gentle reminders with how they are supposed to act, not negativity and yelling that they're doing it wrong.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:08 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I don't yell at him about manners. But it seems I've been reminding him forever - elbows off the table, don't talk with food in your mouth, don't talk about gross stuff at the table, etc. And if I've reminded him once or twice at a meal two minutes later he's doing the same thing again. I don't know.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• part of that is age too. Just be consistant.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 3:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2010