Are the drop down cribs safe?

My friend is gving me her crib for free. She has used it with her three children and all have turned out safe. She says she is just done having kids and since this is my first she wanted to help us out. I keep hearing about how unsafe these cribs are . What should I do?

tymma11

Asked by tymma11 at 1:42 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not at all. they have been recalled everywhere i know of.
    NatiesMommy

Answer by NatiesMommy at 1:49 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Every brand? My cousin has her 1 year old in one and she says it is fine.
    tymma11

Comment by tymma11 (original poster) at 1:50 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• every brand is recalled
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:52 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I have one. Its pretty stable. Its a pain in the butt to even drop down to be honest. U actually have to unscrew it in four places before it will move.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:53 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Both of mine slept in a drop down crib and nothing happened to either of them and my nephew is sleeping in it now. I've never had a problem with them.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 1:56 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• They are being officially banned in the US.
    http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/money/recalls/after-dozens-of-deaths,-drop-side-cribs-outlawed
    Some info a friend of mine posted about.
    Personally, even if it's free my opinion of it is don't risk it. We just got my son a pack n play that can be used as a bassinet and then moved down to the lower regular postion when he's too big for that.
    Our drop side crib did the convert to a toddler bed thing and that's still safe, so we're going to hang on to it just so that he can have that when he's ready for it. If hers does such a thing take it for teh toddler bed when baby is read for that, but wouldn't use it as a crib.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 2:25 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My son never had a problem in his (over 10 years ago), but I would never buy one now, knowing the dangers. It isn't worth the risk.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 2:52 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• You can screw it together so that it will not drop down. I have heard this is the only way you should keep one. When they first starting recalling them, they just sent people screws to make it not drop down anymore, and they could still use it.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 2:54 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• They're being banned in the US right now... Manufacturers just aren't making them correctly and their quality is just too poor. I wouldn't put a kid in one.

Manufacturers are having to filter them out of production. So, daycare's and all of that do have time to find replacements/alternatives... But are not allowed to buy new ones.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:05 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• @ Sandra - There are certain tools, yes, that you can use to make the dropside crib stationary. However, I wouldn't suggest just grabbing the power drill and putting any size screw in. If you don't have the assembly kit specifically for your crib, that isn't a safe suggestion. You could internally crack the wood/faux wood that the crib is made out of, and really have an ordeal on your hands.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:08 AM on Dec. 27, 2010