i am not sleeping well

I've got this horrible cough. I can't sleep but if take something to help me sleep I'm out cold for an entire day and no one to watch the kiddos so can't do that any natural ways of helping me cough so I can sleep?

Heidikans

Asked by Heidikans at 2:09 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Health

• id like to know too. I have the same problem....I jsut eat cough drops like crazy...Night quil helps me and I wake up...OK some what in the am. You know your sick as hel when your coughing your brains out and instead of taking a drink of water you reach for the night quil. And now Im out lol. UGH!
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 2:12 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• hope you feel better. Also try some sleepy time tea or maybe some honey
    JakesCupcake

• Honey Lemon tea- always helps me. A cup of hot water , Table spoon of honey and either an actual lemon/lemon juice (at least a table spoon). The citrus in the lemon cuts the mucous, and the honey in coats and soothes your throat.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 2:14 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I'll give these a shot thanks ladies
    Heidikans

Comment by Heidikans (original poster) at 2:16 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Vick's chest rub.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 2:24 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:32 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:33 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I agree with tea. I would say Chamomile or peppermint.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:35 AM on Dec. 27, 2010