Remedies for restless leg syndrome when pregnant?

I am 8 months pregnant and have horrible restless leg syndrome. I can't fall asleep nor can I stay asleep. I have dark circles under my eyes and I am can't sleep during the day either. I have a 4 year old so I can't just lounge all day (boy, do I wish).

I have tried the bar of soap, Tylenol, massage, stretching (which helped a little) but need something else that will work. Please help!

LovemyQ

Asked by LovemyQ at 2:19 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• This is what helped me a lot: Everythime I showered I would shower my legs with cold water in the end. Dry of and enjoy. Also keep streching.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 2:53 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Try to get to sleep earlier. Also, Hylands makes a tablet called "Restful Legs". I'm not certain that all of the herbs in it are safe for pregnancy, but it's worth checking out. It works well for me.
    Are you exercising at all? It may help to go for a walk earlier in the day as well.
    Hang in there, mama! You're in the home stretch! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:57 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Magnesium is supposed to help with that sort of thing; you may want to find out how much is safe to take during pregnancy though :)
    xrussianbabe02

Answer by xrussianbabe02 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• What about trying a warm bath? Very relaxing. :)
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Try yoga and take prenatal vitamins.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Oh yeah get some potassium. Perhaps eating a banana every day may help.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• OP here. I do take potassium/magnesium supplement along with prenatals. I have upped my dosage of the magnesium and added B vitamins (the non-exciteable ones) and went to the chiropractor yesterday. I finally slept! I still got insomnia, bt the restless legs were gone.

I had to go the route of pot/mag. supplements because a banana a day was not working.
    LovemyQ

Comment by LovemyQ (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2010