what precautions can i take?

I think I am pregnant and have a 4 month old kitten. I am the only person who cleans the kitty litter and do not have gloves or a mask. What precautions can I take until I can get to the store?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Indoor only cat?

Just wash your hands well after cleaning.
    Maybe change your shirt after if really paranoid.
    No one else can do it?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:22 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My husband could do it, but he's not very good at it. I always scrub my hands after. I not too paranoid about it, but all my friends are and told me I need gloves and a mask.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:04 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• You definitely need the mask...the problem with the litter is the toxin is airborne. Get someone else to change/clean the litterbox until you can get a mask or go first thing in the morning and leave the litterbox alone until then.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 4:07 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Go buy one of those self cleaning can litter boxes.

Answer by louise2 at 4:36 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I wouldn't care if he's not that good at it. I'd make him do it, at LEAST until you get the gloves and mask. Personally, I'd make him do it all the time, but that's just me.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:36 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Tie a damp cloth over your mouth/nose, and wear ziploc or grocery bags over your hands. Wash up really really well after.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Indoor-only cat?
    Lots of women do this with no protection. I did it through my pregnancies with my 3 cats.
    Does your kitten go out?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:50 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Indoor cat only. My aunt did it with no problem, too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Just make sure you wash your hands really good after petting them or cleaning the liter box!!
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It is the litter that is the main problem from what my doctor has told me. Don't take the risk just go get the mask and gloves if you absolutely feel the need to be the one to change the box. Always wash well afterward and good luck.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2010