Does it make me sound like i am a cold hearted B%tch? updated

Last week my DH had to take our dog to the vet because he was thowing up and u can see he wasn't feeling good. Well the vet told us the he had a mass in his stomach and was starting to put pressure on his organs, and thjat soon he will need a surgery and even that might not work if the mass has spread anywhere then the vet said they probably will not wake him up. I really do care about him, but I am not all that upset. For example, h e bit my husband when he bent over to pick up the ball to throw and he would fetch. We need to go to the ER. Doc (dog name) bit him hard on my husband ring finger. Then one night we got Marisa to play with Doc, then next thing I know he snapped at her. She starts crying and I found a tooth mark behind her ear. I was livid to say the least. I was shaking so bad I couldn't even think coherently, and was and I honestly can say at that time I would have killed him. For a while, I experienced anxiety attacks, I was so damn scared, I actually got my first migraine. He constantly growls at her when she is by him, or just when she enters a room where he is there. I really tried to stop her from goiong to him, but I ended up putting him in the kitchen and we got a gate she she can't get to him. He still growls at her. He has alos been the main source of arguments between me and Dh. For a long time I was so damn scared that he bite her or kill her. Doc is a lab/pitt mix. I was attacked when I was younger, and Iprobably would have real severe injuries or die if is wasn't for a farmer who shot and kill the dog. Husband said it would stop once he got used to her. Well it 2 yrs later and no difference. I wanted to get rid of Doc really really bad. But dh couldn't find anyone t take him, and DH wouldn't put him in the kennels cause they end up putting him down. We have had many arguments over this damn dog! I wished we could get that dog whisper guy. Am I a cold witch? Do u all think these thoughts are bad of me?? I didn't tell my dh of these thoughts. Am I wrong to feel somewhat relieved dealing with these newer problems??    

Yes dogs do get testy when they are in pain, but that isn't the case with my dog.  He has been growling basically since marisa was born.  My husband told me that he has to get used to her, well it has been 2 yrs.......My husband has a very habit of "humanizing" our dog.  Dogs live for the moment.  They do not think what has happened yrs ago.  He might remember a "feeling" he had, maybe.  I got a few books and DVD's from thr dog whisperer Cesaer Milon.  My dog thinks he is the pack leader, so in in a way thr growling might be telling us this is his space not ours.  I tried very hard to show mu husband this.  The DVD's were very easy to use and put it into practice.  I had no problem in showing the dog I am the pack leader, but it takes both people to do this.  All he had to do was change a few of the habits hr does.  Example is when we take him for a walk, u go thru the door first to show him u lead him, not him leading u. When walking, keep him by your side, or behind u, don't let him in front of u.  When he is in front, it shows him he has the power over his humans.  I don't know if anyone here has watched the Dog Whisperer, its a very good show, and that guy is so amazing.  He even help train the President's dog.  But like I was saying, my dog has ben growling at us and marisa, especially since she has been walking.  As for the surgery, noway can we afford it. It starts at $1200 and up, and doesn't include the different tests and other stuff.

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:29 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• There is absolutely no reason that a person should keep an animal that endangers their child. You are rigtht. Something is wrong with your husband. You have to be certain he does not get another dog that could endanger your child.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:41 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• No, I do not think you are wrong for feeling that way. You just do not like that dog.

Answer by louise2 at 4:29 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• honestly i would not keep that dog, if it has bit your child and always growls at her, it needs to go. i have had dogs before and if the dog didnt like my kid, the dog was the one sent away. i understand the dog is in pain, but if you feel your childs safety is at risk and you are having anxiety attacks because of the dog its time for it to go.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 7:44 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Your dog must be in pain and doesn't want to be messed with.  Animals will show agression if something is bothering them.  It usually is not intentional to the owners, there is no need to be so upset.   I get it, that you do not care for that dog, but to keep the peace you will have to make a effort to show the family that you will do all that you can to get doc the attention that he needs. Give the dog away or give him to a pet organization that does not euthanize animals.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 3:42 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Maybe try to find a no-kill animal shelter. All cities have at least one. Maybe that will ease your husbands mind about him being put down. And no, you're in no way wrong about these feelings. I would have them too. I'd take the dog away while DH is at work...
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 4:18 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I agree with sexyfancyface I think maybe the dog is in pain and because of the pain he shows aggression I was given a parrot by my mother because toby, the parrot was mean he bit anyone who put their hand in his cage after i got the bird i realized that the band around his leg was so tight that his leg was swelling. so my husband not knowing any better took a pair of pliers and cut the band off of his leg. his leg started bleeding so we took him to the vet. That bird was so gentle on the way to the vets office I could hold him without him even trying to bite me. the vet couldn't do much for him so we took him back home where he died two hours later. The pain caused him to be mean. i think we are all grouchy even mean when we are in alot of pain, but i can't fault you for feeling the way you do about a dog biting your daughter. I would see how he acts after the surgery then decide whether to keep him or not .
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 5:14 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• If he was like prior to his health problems then the health problems only exacerbate his aggression.I agree that your husband needs to think of his childs safety first and no I do not think you are evil.On a side note I wouldn't have a pit bull (and some other types) with small children.I don't want to turn this into some debate but i'm just not comfty with dogs that are known to be very unpredictable.Anyway..hope your husband gets his head on right.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:41 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I got rid of our dog when he started showing signs of aggression to my youngest (who was just 2 at the time). I don't feel bad about it, my child was in a potentially dangerous situation, and as a parent it's my job to keep him safe. It takes 1 time for a dog to seriously harm a child - it's not worth the risk. Sorry that your husband doesn't see this. Hope things turn out ok for you.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:49 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I would definitely get rid of the dog, and no you're not being a cold hearted bitch. You are protecting your child, just like any normal mother would. Good for you for standing up and saying something. Now the only thing to do is convince your hubby. I would just say something like, "You know it really isn't safe to keep this dog, he growls all the time, he has already snapped at you and bit the baby. Who is more important, this dog, or your baby?" I think maybe once you say something like that he will realize that a human life is more important than the dog. I had a dog for 11 years who was pretty much like a brother to me, and he passed away from Lyme disease. I miss him very much, but if he ever did anything to hurt either of my children I would be forced to get rid of him. I thought that everyone who owned a dog was aware that the baby comes first! good luck mama, I hope your DH comes around! :]
    sugaree

Answer by sugaree at 9:51 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I will NEVER have a dog. I just do not like them.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 2:34 PM on Dec. 27, 2010