Pagans: Does anyone else see the whole Christmas/Yule thing like this?

So many people are always talking about how Christmas is Pagan, and this is Pagan, and that is Pagan, etc. IMO, Christmas is NOT Pagan, it's Christian. Yule is Pagan. The timing of the Christian celebration may have been based on Yule for whatever reason (maybe it really was only to make Pagan conversion to Christianity easier, maybe it was because no one knew when Christ was born, maybe it was something else, maybe it was a combination of many things, etc.), but that doesn't make it a Pagan holiday. They are still two separate days and celebrated for different reasons.

So am I the only one who thinks about it this way and doesn't really get into the big debate every year?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 4:16 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The church part is Christian. The decorated tree, wreath, candles & votives lining the driveway, presents, giant meal with family, Santa, reindeer, stockings, and, yes, the YULE log, all come from Yule. I don't see an issue until people start having hissies about "stop being anti-Christian by banning Christmas trees". Banning a Norse Heathen tradition is anti-Christian? And, of course, when you ask them that, they insist that they own the tree, and everything else, because Jesus invented trees (and apparently he cut them down, hid them in the house, and put ornaments on them, too, to hide from his followers, who would kill him for having one, which is how the tree ended up in the living room in the first place).

I don't care about the holiday. I just hate the ignorance of those who can't separate the historical facts of the aspects of it from their fairy tale fantasy of what Christmas is all about - Jesus and Macy's.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• With me, I recognize the difference. My problem is that the christians refuse to acknowlege that their holiday is based upon the earlier pagan one. I don't argue the point because they have decided to celebrate the birth of their "son" god on the same EXACT day as the birth of the "sun" god of the pagans. I argue because they have overlayed their Jesus celebration over the pagan one and act like this action negates the pagan holiday completely. They don't accept any celebration save their own. Christmas is a christians-only club and they refuse to give back the pagan roots of Jesus' fake birthday to those who want to celebrate the Yuletide or the Solstice instead. They have urinated on it like dogs marking their territory and have decided it's theirs and ONLY theirs because they peed on it.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:25 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yes, both are two different holidays but I do get into the debate every year. Christmas is not Pagan. It is very Christian despite the Paganish elements that are given Christian meaning in the holiday.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:35 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Tina ... Really? You've NEVER heard of the holiday that has been discussed on these boards MANY times over the last MONTH?? Wow. 

Anyway ... to answer the question ... 
    I really get tired of all the petty arguing over who gets to celebrate what and why or what holiday has what roots. I celebrate both. Besides, these days, Christmas is more secular than religious, so what does it really matter? 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:40 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yes, CHRISTmas is a CHRISTian holiday.

HOWEVER many many many of the TRADITIONS celebrated at Christmas are Pagan in origin.

As a Pagan, I don't care if non-Pagans wish to decorate their homes with evergreens, or light a Yule log, or share gifts, etc....just give credit where credit is due.

It's OK to *borrow* traditions.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I'm not exactly Pagan, but ITA. While there are Pagan roots in some of the Christmas traditions, Christmas is not a Pagan holiday at all. Christmas and Yule are two different holidays celebrated for different reasons. The Pagan traditions that were adapted to the Christmas celebrations make Christmas no less about Christ. IMO, it's all about what you make it.

What I don' t like about the Christmas debates is the fact that some people think no one else can celebrate Christmas. That somehow it's an abomination to God to celebrate Christmas and not believe. I think that anyone can celebrate the spirit of giving, and that God and Jesus aren't going to care one bit that people are celebrating that way. Even if those celebrating don't believe in Him.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I believe it's still 2 different holidays.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 4:28 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I am neither Christian, or pagan, but I agree with you.

Armonia

Answer by Armonia at 4:36 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I think the main thing that people fight about is not that it is a pegan holiday (because it is christian) but because of the things that they use....The tree yada yada...my SIL got in a uge debate with DH about all of that on christmas lol. About how the burning the yule log was ALWAYS christian....but I was only able to hear one side lol....It was funny hearing her yelling at him on occasion lol. But I dont think it maters...I am wiccan and still celebrate christmas....just not for the reasons that christians do....I just celebrate the time of year....its an extended yule or winter solstice(sorry cant spell today lol)

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:13 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• If anyone tries to say Christmas is Pagan well they are just misinformed and don't really pay attention and completely got that confused. It's more than many pagan traditions have become a part of current Christmas traditions, but so have traditions from other countries and beliefs. Yes decorating a tree may be pagan in nature, but it was also only really done in Germany for Christmas and when Queen Victoria's husband Prince Albert brought his tradition with him and a drawing was taken all of a sudden Christmas trees were the IN thing to do.

I don't think there is any religious holiday that hasn't adapted over the years to take snippets from different religions or countries over the years. I know they are two seperate holidays for two different reasons, but I don't get my panties in a bunch about it when others feel the need to debate and bash
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:32 AM on Dec. 27, 2010