How do I develop a parenting plan with my fiance?

I am engaged but we are struggling. Specifically, we can't seem to agree on how to parent my biological child (as well as a foster child). Does anyone know where I can get some practical activities/workbooks or steps to develop a parent plan that we can both agree on?

Noahs_Mom2005

Asked by Noahs_Mom2005 at 4:39 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Do not marry him if you two can not resolve this issue. If you two can not agree on how to parent these two. Having kids together will be know different.

Answer by louise2 at 4:43 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Oh I agree, we will not marry until we find a solution. If we don't then we won't marry. I can not have other children. The good news is that if we can find an agreeement then we should be solid since there will be no additional children.
    Noahs_Mom2005

Comment by Noahs_Mom2005 (original poster) at 4:45 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I am glad your head is on strait about this and not in a love fog, like some women. LOL

Answer by louise2 at 4:51 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• There is a Dr. Dobson who has written a number of book about children. Like: The Strong-Willed Child. He provides practical help for marriage and parenting. You can find him at : www.focusonthefamily.com When we did foster care he proved to be very helpful! Hope this helps!
    WalknWithGod

Answer by WalknWithGod at 6:56 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Dr. Dobson's parenting advice is abusive. It is for people who misrepresent the message of Christ to justify harming children.

Each of you could make a list of values that you think are important to develop as a family. Having a common goal is an important starting place. For example, if one of thinks spanking is acceptable and the other doesn't, you'll have to work that out first.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:58 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I love the book Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort. You can learn more here: http://www.naomialdort.com/

Not seeing eye-to-eye on parenting would be a deal-breaker for me. You may want to consider couples counseling.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:45 AM on Dec. 27, 2010