Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do I start a home daycare

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • Start by finding out what your city, county, and state ordinances and laws are governing daycare. Also check state requirements for becoming a certified day care center.


    Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:49 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • find your local child care resource and referral agency at they will be able to tell you what the licensing requirements are in your state

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:38 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • It depends on whether or not you are starting an actual business, or just under the table. If you want to be certified, you need to check w/ your local health dept & other local agencies on how to get accredited or certified. The downside, is you have a lot of requirements to be met in your own home, & are subject to inspections. If you do it under the table, you should still have a contract that parents sign to avoid getting ripped off. Post your ads at churches, grocery stores, & thru word of mouth w/ friends/family. Let the parents know up front that they cannot claim you on their taxes. Dont take on too many kids for need of money. You cant put a price on your sanity! Good luck

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • if your just watching a few kids then i think your local DHS office wont require you to licence your home but if its over a certain number you would fall into all kinds of requirements

    Answer by mistik75 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • In my state, if you are watching 3 or less children, not including your own, then you don't need to do anything. I am going to be watching 2 kids out of my home starting January. The best advise I can give is make sure your prices are fair BUT you make a good amount for what you do.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 10:41 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • Do a lot of research on how to run a daycare, get licenced.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.