What is an acceptable punishment for a teen stealing alcohol from parent.

My 15 year old son had a friend over to play video games when I was out of town. The friend invited a few other friends to meet at my home before the boys went to a christmas party. The boys that my son did not know ransacked the house and stole all of my liquor... My son knowingly took the beer from my refrigerator, so he is not lacking fault. He is extremely remorseful, embarrassed and upset as this was the first party he's ever attended. He admitted to drinking beer at the party.

I am more upset and dissapointed about my son stealing the beer from the refrigerator than the other events that ensued from the evening. I believe he has learned his lesson for having people he does not know in our home without a parent in attendance.

What is an acceptable punishment?

(FOR THE RECORD:  I did not leave my son home alone. I am divorced and his father allowed him to stay the night at a friends..  Which resulted in them coming by my empty home. He has never broken my trust previously and is honestly a morally strong child.  I, on the other hand, was a horrible teen and not naive to things of this nature!)

tway75

Asked by tway75 at 9:07 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• He should lose his game station for a month and he should have to go down and speak to someone who has to deal with the repercussions of underage drinking .

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:18 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• He should have to earn money to pay for all the liquor that was taken, and be on restriction from friends for a month. No contact at all.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:20 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I like both of the above answers. Losing all technology privileges and paying back the money and NO parties in his near future!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:27 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• When I was 15 and got caught drinking, my parents did not allow me to have friends over when they weren't home, and I was not allowed to hang around with the people who did those things. But as a result, my parents never let me go anywhere or hang out with any friends, or have people over. I was always to stay home and do chores and housework, and now that I am an adult I have a lot of anxiety being around people that I don't know very well, because I don't know how to act around them. I feel like because of my parents I missed out on a lot of my teenage life, and now I have two kids of my own and won't be able to "do what I want" until they are grown up and moved out of the house.
    sugaree

Answer by sugaree at 9:44 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Keep the alcohol out of the house. Punish him however you like, but remove the temptation.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:48 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Ground him for a month make him pay for what was stolen and any fines anyone had to pay if they got caught. Don't continue the punishment after the month though Sugar is right it if he does not learn now how to deal with his peers it can lead to problems in the future.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:51 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• why was a 15 yr old home ALONE for the weekend.... and if so why are you so surprised?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I am not sure he should be punished at all. A 15-year old is too susceptible to peer pressure to have ever been put in the position that he was left in. He simply does not have the maturity to withstand that kind of temptation, and that is not his fault!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:27 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• He needs to be punished, he is old enough to know what happens when you drink alcohol. He needs to talk to someone about the reprecusions of underage drinking. He needs to understand how much trouble YOU can get into for having underage kids drinking alcohol in your home. You could be sued, held criminally liable for any damages, injuries, etc from alcohol consumed in your home..you can also lose your house,car, everything. YOU should have never left a 15 yr old home alone for a weekend, but your son shouldn't have allowed a party at the house and people to steal from the house.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Oh, I wanted to add that you do NOT need to keep alcohol out of the house..your son needs to learn to be responsible and the ADULTS in the house do not need to be punished for the choices he made.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 27, 2010