Bottle rot

Have you heard of bottle rot? Has anyone had experience with this? Part of my LO's routine is to have a bottle at night and fall asleep in my or my hubby's arms. So, we can't brush his teeth right after. Is this something that we should stop doing becuase of the bottle rot?
I really don't want him to have dental problems... :-(

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• A little girl in my dd's pre-school class has rotten teeth and I am assuming it is bottle rot. It is gross! Her teeth are completely rotten (black and green)!!! I know they are baby teeth, but I would think that it is also screwing up her about teeth as well!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 9:46 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• i breastfeed my kids, and i feed them to sleep too. we don't have any rotten teeth here. i do know a family that went through this. they personally think their kids would have had teeth issues with or without bedtime feedings because both the mom and dad had pretty bad teeth as young children. those were their personal feelings...not professional, of course.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:49 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yes bottle rot is mainly caused by babies falling asleep with a bottle. My bff's daughter had to have an oral surgeon remove her dd's two front teeth because of this, and it was very hard for them both. Trust me, it would be worth it to stop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I've heard of it. My cousin had it and all his teeth rotted out...they never ever brushed his teeth and would give him pop and juice in bottles too.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:19 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• how old is your baby? i dont think you need to worry if they are still little....when I take mine off the bottle at 1, they can have a cup of water at bedtime. Water rinses their mouths out and is way better for them than milk or juice.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 10:58 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Bottle rot is caused by sleeping with a bottle or milk or juice. A bottle of water at bedtime or while they are sleeping is fine...it's the milk and juice that cause the bottle rot.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• our dentists and pediatricians always discouraged bottle feeding like this after the teeth started coming in.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• bottle rot is when you give a child a bottle with juice or something else sweet in it and they go to sleep with it still stuck in their mouth. if they really need a bottle give them water.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 12:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2010