as a mother do i have 2 give my child 2 his dad on christmas day?

lucia115

Asked by lucia115 at 10:08 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• nope...why don't you let him have him for a bit on Christmas Eve?
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:09 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• If you are divorced and have a custody agreement that says you do, you are legally required to do so.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 10:12 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• If it's court ordered in visitation you do. I have sole custody, and visitation is actualy not set for us, it's listed that it's at my digression. While he didn't see his dad on Christmas Day my son was there the night before Christmas eve, spent the night that night and came back Christmas Eve after dinner. He went back over to his dads Sunday afternoon and is still there, he's coming home later today.

Sorry but I think your question to yourself should be: as a mother shouldn't I have my son spend as much time with his daddy as possible?

He's a parent too, and unless a total deadbeat, druggie or child molestor, he has just as much right to spend time with his son as you do!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• depends on what your custody agreement says
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Is there a custody agreement or order? If not ( and I suspect that there is not or you prob would not be asking this) then of course not. Before we got a custody agreement, I NEVER let my ex take my dd anywhere, he could visit her at my house only. The reason for this is he is very immature and lazy and if something happened to her while she was with him and we didn't have an order then I would always blame myself, as I didn't HAVE to let him take her. I would keep your child for all holidays until you are told you can't. Also if he goes for visitation, the holidays start from when the order starts. It's not gonna be like if you had him the first 3 Christmases, he gets him the next three or anything, the court doesn't care if he got the holidays before that becase, in their mind, he should have filed anyway. you will prob trade off every other year.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:25 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• mom2jack04, it sounds like they don't have a court order or anything, if that is the case, why should the dad get a share in the holidays when he is just taking up his share in the parental responsiblities?
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Before making any decisions, you need to stop and think if your decisions are best for the child. It doesn't matter what your feelings are or what you want, it is about what is best for the child. Keeping a child from a parent because you are being vindictive will blow up in your face when the child becomes old enough to see and understand the motivation behind being kept from their parent.

It all depends on what is in your court order.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• While I think my ex husband is a complete jackass, my son loves him dearly. We alternate years for Christmas. He gets from noon on Christmas Eve to Noon on Christmas day on even years and on odd years he gets noon on Christmas day to noon on December 26.
    It's not about you, it's about your child. Unless your child is in danger by going to see the father, he should get to see his dad for this holiday.
    As someone posted earlier, if you are just being vindictive, you run the risk of the child realizing that later in life and trust me, they usually do.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• JLS perhaps because it's not about letting the DAD see his son but for the SON to be able to knowand see his dad. It's petty to keep them apart because you don't like him, or he doesn't help out enough....yes some men and jerks, my ex is a self absorbed confirmed sex addict who is 36 and had to move back home with mommy and daddy because he won't even look for a job. But is that MY SON'S FAULT???? Should my son, whom is 6 and has love for his dad, suffer because I don't like his dad??? NO, like it or not I married the man, had sex with the man and had an amazing child with the man and whatever my feelings are for him my son deserves his dad in his life.

My ex is ordered to pay $25 a month in child support, lol...and he hasn't even paid that in three months. So I should make my son unhappy and sad and keep them apart anytime let alone the holidays? No thank you.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• it depends on what your court papers say. As long as the child will be safe you have no grounds. And don't punish the child because you don't like the dad
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2010