How can I keep the cat litter in the box??

I have two adult cats with very poor kitty box habits. They kick and dig until the litter is all over the floor, even with the special mat I put in front of it. I find myself vacuuming 2-3 times a day cuz I cant stand the feeling of a little grain of litter sticking to the bottom of my foot! Any suggestions.....?

Rosemirrors

Asked by Rosemirrors at 10:17 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Pets

• the hooded cat litter pans

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• my cat is a slob too and i had to buy a litter box with a cover over it. it has a little doorway and everything else is covered. he still manages to fling some of it out but it's not near as messy as it used to be.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:21 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• yep, get a box with a lid
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:25 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• get rid of the cats.. LOL No kidding, you can try the box with the lid on it but you will still get some litter brought out. I just keep a small broom and dustpan nearby.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• If you figure it out, let me know! I have hooded litter boxes and have one in a old crate for my disabled kitty ... I still have litter all over the floor. I even used mats under the front of the pan and they still got litter all over the place!

It's like a game for them. See how much litter they can kick out and irritate human Mommy. =)
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:57 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Our male cat kicks tons of litter out of the box. One of my friends just recommended this box to me. She has 2 cats & it works really well for her. Looks like a UFO just landed in her mudroom, but no litter on the floor!

http://reviews.petco.com/3554/11197/booda-booda-clean-step-litter-box-in-pearl-dove-reviews/reviews.html
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• BTW-I am using a covered litter box! Thanx for all your suggestions!
    Rosemirrors

Comment by Rosemirrors (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I am using covered litter boxes and have the same problem. What's even funnier is that our 4 cats (step brothers and sisters) will use one box just for pee and the other box just for poop. Figure that one out.....
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• @sweetpotato418 we just got that litter box and I love it. I have no litter on the floor and it doesn't smell even when she's using it!
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I agree with you, SpiritedWitch! It is a game to them, cuz after I sweep it all up, they go right back in and kick that damn litter outta the bathroom and into the hallway! And its a covered box with a special trackless mat underneath (waste of money)! My back cant tolerate all this bending and sweeping up and I get sooooo frustrated.....
    Rosemirrors

Comment by Rosemirrors (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Mar. 28, 2011