Scared of having another c-section... have you had 3 or more?

This will be my third. YES, they were all medically necessary so don't bash about that. Anyways, baby will come at 38 or 39 weeks.... I'm just nervous with number 3.
Is the recovery harder?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Just out of curiosity, what is the medical reason? Is going into labor naturally rather than inducing before your c-section an option?
    Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 10:40 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• No... They won't let me at all. The first was b/c the baby was too big, I tried for 38 hours and ended in an emergency c-section. The second was strillborn and just too fragile for vaginal birth. (29 weeks). This one was just nto an option.... why would I get induced or go into labor? They want to do it around 38 or 39 weeks so I don't get into labor, they don't induce for a c-section. You just go in, get the spinal and have surgery....
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I've had 3 c-sections. #2 and #3 were failed VBAC and I was awake and the recovery was fine. So don't be afraid of that at all. I don't happen to think you need another c-section. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that the reason that you weren't able to deliver after 38 hour was medical interference. And I don't understand if your second was alive or already passed when they choose to do the c-section, but fear is such a big factor in the decision to VBAC or schedule a c-section and I understand that. And I went for labor with my second and my third so they picked their birthdays.  And were ready! Would have loved to have pushed them out!

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• And I have a friend who is a NICU nurse and she says her hospital will not schedule before 39 weeks because of lung problems with the babies. That is a much bigger fear than going into labor before the scheduled date cause they can always just do the c-section on an unscheduled basis. The longer they are safe in mom the better. Consider a VBAC. Consider changing doctors, but if it is too scary after having lost a baby, everybody will understand.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:46 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Well... my first was not an option, they would have lost us both if they didnt do an emergency. My second already passed away, i'm sure I could have done VBAC (maybe), but she was so fragile they don't know that she would have made it down the birth canal and I wanted to see her the way she was, not after trying. She was too little to have made it out whole... thats awful but true.
    This one will probably be around 39 weeks, I think that is fine. Many people don't understand the risks of going into labor, but I probably wont so I'm fine. VBAC is not an option, I'm going to the best doctors in the entire city and will not switch to try....It's also a high risk doc b/c of my stillborn. So I'd rather have another c-section too....
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I had three....no two was the worst.. No 3 was pretty easy. Funny, a nurse told me once that the second was always the worst one on a woman, and I found that very true. You will be fine. Concentrate on that beautiful package you will be bringing home!

MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 12:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• The third one seems a lot easier. I have had three c-sections. First one my son was 9lbs. 11oz. I was in labor for 40 hours and forceps were tried, but failed. Next baby was a repeat section she weighed 9lbs. 3 oz. and my last was no choice my doctor said I couldn't v-bac my last weighed 8lbs. 15oz. and they took her a 37weeks 1 day. My first was the WORST but each one got easier from there.
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 2:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I don't think I have ever heard anybody say that their second or third was worse than their first before unless something went terribly wrong. Seems the first is always the one when you are in labor for 24-36-48 hours and the whole idea of a c-section wasn't even a reality to you before and you are in such shock. No labor c-sections are usually easier to recover from, less stress to the body in general. Although studies have repeatedly shown that labor is good for babies.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I'm sorry...I didn't mean to say get induced. Duuuuhh. But it is beneficial to have your c-section after going into labor naturally. Since due dates are estimates, they tend to be off. So if your baby is born by c-section at 38 weeks, its possible that it could actually only be 36 or 37 weeks. In any case, if you go into labor you know that baby fully developed and ready to be born, and is much less likely to end up in the NICU. Scheduling a c-section way in advanced is more for the doctor's convenience than anything else....definitely not in the best interest of the baby. Just my 2 cents on the subject.
    Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 12:04 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• One more thing....like one of the PP's said, there is a very good chance that your first emergency c-section was not due to your baby's size, but a result of medical interventions. CPD is extremely overdiagnosed, but one of the most common "reasons" for c-section. Check out this video...it just goes to show that doctors are often wrong. Good luck mama!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFVkDV45MM

Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 12:20 AM on Nov. 11, 2008