would you feel bad if you got your child zero presents on their First Birthday?

im thinking of just throwing the party for her (with only immediate family and godfamily invited), buying a cake and snacks for everyone to eat and her little smashcake, and no gifts from me. reason being, her birthday is January 13th. i have a 2 and 4 year old daughter as well and everyone received a boatload of MORE toys that i still am trying to find room for. the baby has plenty of toys to play with, and she'll be handed down toys and clothes as she gets older. i just dont have any room for anything else! and not to mention im sure all of the family coming are getting her more stuff that we admittedly don't need. she won't know the difference anyway.. so would you buy your child gifts for their 1st Birthday if you knew they would just be shoved in a toybox to probably never be seen again?? im thinking of just taking the money i would have spent and putting it in her savings account!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Why not start a savings account for her, and put money in it towards her college, or buy her a savings bond!?!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:37 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• We didn't buy my daughter any presents for her first birthday. We threw her a HUGE party and SO many people came that I'm kind of glad we didn't after all the gifts she received. The party was, in my opinion, better to shell out money for than some present she'd play with for 3 hours and then end up in the toy box.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:21 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• i got my kids something for their 1st birthdays but they wer born in the summer
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• sounds fine to me

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I got nothing for my child for the 1st 3 yrs of her life nothing for bdays, Christmas, Easter bunny I felt she didn't really know if she got something or not. I did that for my oldest kids and so I thiught I wouldn't for this one she more then makes up for it now she's 8 and her birthday is coming up soon on the 9th of January
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• All I did was get DS a cake....No party just a cake...all of the family would have to fly in and noone had the money....I dont see a problem with it. DS got a bunch of stuff from the family that if I was to get him something he would play with it once and then never touch it again....Same with the clothes because he was growing so fast at the time.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:40 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I'm w/ohwrite. Any $$ spent on a gift just put it in a savings account for her/him.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 10:41 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I think your idea sounds great--for my son's 2d birthday, we were traveling so we just got him a cake and had a nice family dinner. I can guarantee you that your child will be just fine with all the toys they got for Christmas and will get from the others you invite.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• No, a 1 yr old won't even know that he or she didn't get any gifts. How about starting a savings account or making a donation to a shelter for women and children?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:05 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I think you should do whatever you feel is right for your family....and could I suggest going through the toys you have and donating all the ones that are never used to the salvation army or something? Then you wouldn't be so cramped and would make room for toys that they would actually use. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:14 AM on Dec. 27, 2010