A friend of mine just bought her granddaughter a booster seat. She is 3 years old and weighs 34 lbs. It uses the seat belt. Is this safe?

sadyjo31

Asked by sadyjo31 at 11:34 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No it's not. Booster seats are usually for 40 lbs and up and should still be a five point harness system. The simple seat booster is for older kids. She needs to look at the weight rating and go by that.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• No she doesn't meet the age or the weight requirements for a booster. She needs to still be in a car seat with a five point harness.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:46 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• not safe nor legal
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• No. I feel that even at 4 yrs and 40 lbs, many tots do not have the upper body to withstand a crash in a booster. Nor are they mature enough to keep the belt where it should be.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• No my child didn't get into a booster seat till she was 5.
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I just put my son into one. He is 48 inches tall and 48 pounds
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Thank you for your help. I tried to tell her that the NTSB doesn't recommend them until your child is at least 4 foot 9 inches. But she doesn't listen. She has never had small children , but thinks she knows all about how to raise them. She even tells me how and I have a toddler and a preschooler. I was trying to be helpful, but it back fired on me and now she isn't speaking to me. Live and learn.
    sadyjo31

Comment by sadyjo31 (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Try looking up your state's child seat regulations and show her its against the law for a child that small to use just a booster seat. I know how you feel, a friend of mine got mad at me because I told her how insane it is that she has her 6 year old son in no kind of child seat at all. My 6 year old is in a toddler booster seat with the 5 point restraints because she's small for her age. My 4 year old is still using the same carseat she had as a 1 year old, except I put the back up higher because she's tall but petite.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 9:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2010