How can I get my child and BF to eat healthy?

OK so I know that this is mostly for getting advice for children, but when it comes to eating healthy my BF is just like my 4 year old. Neither one will eat any veggies other than corn. Anyone have any ideas to get a 4 year old and a 24 year old to eat better?

CadincesMom

Asked by CadincesMom at 11:44 AM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• stop putting junk food in the house
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• just keep trying different recipes.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 11:47 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Don't keep unhealthy snacky foods in the house. Put veggies in everything. Have you tried pureeing veggies? Try the book "Deceptively Delicious" for some new ideas. I've followed some of the recipes, but I've mostly just taken the ideas and applied them to my own recipes. You can also try eating clean, which is another thing I do.  Here's my journal on it.

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:48 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Don't buy the crap foods.
    Mix veggies into other stuff (casseroles, etc.)
    Only give your 4yo healthy snacks. (yogurt, veggies, nuts and seeds, cheese, fresh fruit, etc.)
    Add sauces,dips, cheese to get her to eat some things (fresh veggies with the dip, cheese with broccoli, etc.)
    At dinner make her eat several bites of her veggies whether she wants to or not. (She's not the adult, she doesn't get to decide at this point.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I agree don't keep the junk in the house, and keep trying new recipes until you find things that they like. DON'T advertise to them that what you made is healthy.

I love Tosca Rena's Eat Clean cookbooks, and she has one for men, and one for families. The Eat Clean Magazine often has great healthy recipes for families as well.

I make sloppy joes, chili and spaghetti sauce using lean ground turkey instead of ground beef. My guys love chicken soft tacos, and asian lettuce wraps. I have 3 sons, who have all ALWAYS eaten vegetables, and I think it's just because they've always had them.

Also, have your little one help you prepare food whenever possible. Food she helps to prepare will be more fun for her to eat.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Are you the primary grocery shopper & cook? Then it's all up to you. Don't buy what you don't want them to have, only buy good stuff. Don't make what you don't want them to have, only make good healthy foods. Really, it's not that hard.
    Anonymous

• My BF always goes to the store with me and when I start putting the healthy foods in the cart he starts to complain and has even taken the items out of the cart. And when I do cook the good stuff both of them take like two or three bites and then refuse to eat the rest. I only let my daughter have yogurt and other healthy snacks and she loves yogurt and cheese, I honestly think that if my BF wouldn't complain about the food so much then my daughter would eat it. The reason that I think this is because when I let her help me with some of the cooking I catch her taking carrots and other veggies out and tasting them, but as soon as he says something about not liking it then she doesn't like it.
    CadincesMom

Comment by CadincesMom (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Let them help make dinner. Mine were so fussy and wanted junk all the time. my son is 4 and SO is 29. My boys both eat better when they are helping prepare the meals.
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• not sure about BF men are harder that are set in the way they eat but as for the 4 yr old keep giving him different stuff on his plate make him try it eventually he will like some of that stuff. my son is 7 and USE to be so so picky but he now eats so much better and i keep working to get him to eat more. His younger sisters eat good.He has to try everything on his plate and many times it takes kids over a dozen times of tasting to realize they like it or should I say to acquire the taste....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Juice Plus - 17 different fruits and veggies in a capsule or gummy (delicious by the way, for kids or adults)
    www.welovejuiceplus.com
    A child ages 4-18 can get Juice Plus for free when an adult orders the capsules, about 75.cents a day for people who can't, don't or won't eat fruits and veggies.
    Feel free to contact me if you would like more info. Juice Plus changed our lives, it can do the same for you and your family.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 12:26 AM on Dec. 29, 2010