For you mommies who don't allow Spongebob

When you were growing up,did you watch Bugs Bunny,Woody Woodpecker,or any of those types of cartoons?
Don't you think those were alot worse than what Spongebob shows? Shooting people,anvils on heads,etc?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• cartoons are just that cartoons a moment in a kids life cartoons are just that entertainment.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My qualm with Spongebob is not the 'violence', it's the annoyance. He is purposely stupid and annoying. Not something I want my kids mimicking or playing.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:34 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I'm not on a crusade against SpongeBob...I just think there are better things for my kids to watch that will provide at least a smidge of educational value or a decent life lesson. As I said in my other post which was idiotically voted down by someone who can't take a difference of opinion, I just choose to weed out the "junk food" type of shows in the limited television my kids watch. And guess what? They're perfectly and totally fine with it and don't feel like they missing out on anything. If other people allow Spongebob, that's fine; I don't. No biggie.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I just don't allow Spongebob near ME. I can't stand him but the kids can watch.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:11 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I don't remember what I watched. I remember the Flintstones and the Jetsons, but I'm sure I watched more stuff than that. My problem with Spongebob is that it is mind-numbingly stupid and irritating.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I watched Bugs Bunny and all that when I was little. But I CHOOSE not to let my CHILD watch SpongeBob. If you mothers do then more power to you. I want my child T.V. watching to be educational as possible and spongebob does not fit the bill for me.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 12:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yeah I don't think I've "banned" Spongbob; but I think it's gross and fairly stupid waste of space and would prefer they watch one of the more edu-tainment type cartoons of which there are tons...

Honestly I'd much rather watch old Loony Tunes; but sadly they've gone thru them all and cleaned them up of any possible 'offensive' reference and made them all PC - they're not the same as they used to be.

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I don't forbid Spongebob, but I try to discourage him. My son hardly ever watches. But yes, I did watch those shows. And The Roadrunner. How about that one? If the coyote can afford all of that stuff to try and catch the Roadrunner, why doesn't he just buy food?!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• M*A*S*H? I love that show but would rather my kids watch Spongebob. ( I do allow them to watch SB.) M*A*S*H shows blood and war. Much worse than SB. IMHO
    Anonymous

• I watched all of thoe cartoons but there's something just different about SB. It's just plain stupid. Classic cartoons were different. I don't have young children, my adult children never got in to SB when they were younger and I hate when my 7yo grand-niece is here & wants to watch it...I don't let her. It's nowhere in comparison to the class cartoons of Woody Woodpecker, Bugs Bunny, Popeye, etc.. I wish they still had the ccartoons from when my children were younger....Smurfs, Rugrats, Pepper Ann, Recess, Doug, Hey Arnold!, etc.. Those were cartoons I didn't mind them watching.
    Anonymous