Car sales tax?

Hi there...not sure if anybody would know the answer to this, but my sister is planning on buying a used car in Virginia from a dude off Craigslist. She lives in Pennsylvania. Would she have to pay sales tax for both VA and PA? Or would it just be one time? I'm really unsure. If anybody have any information that would be great! Thank you so much :-)

thenguyenclan

Asked by thenguyenclan at 12:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• From a private owner she shouldn't have to pay sales tax at all. If it's from a dealer, just tax in the state she buys it from. But then there's always the fees of plating the car (with taxes included on that).
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I am not sure, but I live in Montana, which doesn't have a sales tax. And bought a car in washington, which does have a sales tax. But with used cars the buyer normally only pays tax when they go to register it, so it would only be in her home state, because you are buying it from a private seller.

ps. Be careful buying off craigslist from another state, hopefully she is traveling to physically get the car and inspect it before paying for it, which is what we did. There is a high rate of scamming on cars and craigslist.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• She would pay it once, or not at all, depending on the state. When I was in WI and IL (this was a while ago, so I'm not sure if either have changed anything since then), you paid the sales tax at the DMV when you registered the car. Now that I'm in Nevada, we don't pay sales tax on private party purchases, only cars from dealers. She would have to ask at the DMV in whatever state she will be registering it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• She will have to pay tax when she registers it in her own state. She does not pay sales tax to a private seller. If he's trying to charge her tax, she needs to run away fast. But since she'll register (license plates) in her state, she'll pay her state's tax on the price she bought it for.
    Anonymous

• I bet you can google it to find out. Where we live (Utah) we didn't pay the sales tax until we registered the car. So my guess is that she'll have to pay it for her state only and she won't pay it until she registers.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2010