Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you need an attorney to go for more CS?

I was wondering if this is something that I can do myself or will I need to get my attorney involved?


Asked by Jademom07 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 34 (64,323 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • You should be able to go to child support enforcement and apply for more. It costs $25 or free if you get any sort of state aid. They have you do paperwork, they get his, and their lawyer goes before a judge and gets a new court order for support based on his wages and your own. They also process payments and deal with all the headaches if he should not pay. They have their own DA who handles everything. I use them myself. I have found it really helps on many levels. First a lawyer costs money. Filing yourself is stressful. They do automatic increases every so often (each state is different usually ever 2 yrs or when wages increase/decrease), and if he doesnt pay I dont have to be the "bad guy" per say. All I have to say is thats between the state and him.

    Answer by gemgem at 1:22 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • You can file by yourself, just go to the courthouse and they will explain what forms you need to fill out. Its a pretty easy process, just takes time.

    Answer by bjojola at 12:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

  • It depends. In most states you can go to your local child support enforcement agency and ask for a review - you don't need an attorney for that. They usually wait 3 years from the last order or a significant change in circumstances before performing the review.

    Answer by Scuba at 1:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2010