Expense report for CS?

Apparently I have to fill out an expense report for CS since they are trying to lower my support to zero and I am contesting it. What will my income have to do with him paying me CS? Just curious since I never had to do one in the first place. And shouldn't I be looking at his expense report to see why he can't pay me? This system is back-asswards.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 12:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• CS is based on your income and his income, with cost of living figured in. That's what the report is about I guess.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• In our state they just changed the laws so both partied income is considered as is the amount of time spent in each home. If parents are splitting the time evenly then no one pays child support. so as long as one parent has weekends, and all summer both parties are off the hook.
    Anonymous

• Your income, his income, and the time spent at each home is used in calculating CS. (Expenses are not considered - it doesn't matter how you choose to live, its how much money is coming in) In our state (Ohio), if both parties make the same amount and they spend equal time in each home child support isn't always even awarded.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I have been getting child support since 1998 and the way they do it is they apply at % of what you and he are to contribute to the child based on income. That means if you have 0% you have no income, and he has 100% of the support obligation. However, in most states they do not allow this. They know if a mom is not working odds are she is remarried and has income from some source. They will apply minimum wage @ 40 hours a week, then his income and come up with a % each parent is responsible for. So if he earns double min wage (lets say $15 an hour or so) and you are given min wage (just over $7 an hour) he is responsible for 75% of support and you 25%.They look then at a chart combining both incomes and what the support obligation would be based on combined income and he would pay 75% of that obligation.

Answer by gemgem at 1:11 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Your income is important in figuring out child support always has been. Where I live they take the mothers income and the fathers income and then determine the amount the non custodial parent pays based on that information. In a joint custody situation no one would pay support unless the incomes were so vastly different. For instance if my husband and I divorced we would share custody but I would still pay him support and probably alimony. I make in one month what he makes in 2 years so to keep my child living in a nice home at his dads I would gladly pay but I love my son.
    Anonymous

• That seems wrong to me too!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Lol, right?! When they said I was getting an expense report in the mail I got happy. I thought I was going to see what HE claimed as his expenses to validate taking away my CS. But NOOOOOOO. I have to tell them what MY budget is. So stupid.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• They are trying to determine which one of you makes the larger income. If it is you, you probably won't win your case. The courts use both parents incomes when deciding child support.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 28, 2010