Help 20 weeks Slept on my back didn't know until now this could hurt the baby.

Hi this is my frst pregnancy I would get real bad back aches from work, sometimes I'd sleep on my back because of this and that seemed to be the only way to get rid of them. I'm 20 weeks now and just found out this could harm the baby I'm really stressed cause I'd been doing it how can I tell if the baby s ok? And if I stop now will the baby be alright?

babydoll845

Asked by babydoll845 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just try not to do it anymore. While pregnant I would always end up on my stomach when I woke up I tried not to do it it just happen and I had a healthy baby. Good luck!!!! If baby is moving and kicking you are fine.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 12:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• The reason why you are not supposed to sleep on your back is because the weight of the baby and the fluid and the cord and everything will compress your aorta, the major artery leading away from your heart to the rest of the body (including the uterus). Of course you want good healthy oxygenated blood to reach your uterus and placenta. The weight of your baby and all right now is probably 5 pounds or less, so try not to worry...it's as you and the baby get bigger that there is more chance for harm.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• who told you that sleeping positions would hurt the baby??
    It doesnt affect her or him at all unless you sleep upside down like a bat
    talk to your doctor about the back pain
    feel better and lots of luck.
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Not a doctor slept on my back until it got uncomfy \\
    Talk to your doc for suggestions
    get some sleep and good luck
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Place a pillow under one of your hips/low back area at night before going to bed... It helps relieve the pressure so you don't have to worry about "harming" the baby or decreasing the 02 flow. Sleep away :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• you should talk with your doctor about any concerns you have.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Most the time, your body will make you change positions if it feels something is wrong with the position and length of time you are in it. no worries.
    saralouise

Answer by saralouise at 2:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Honestly I am shocked that our population has reached the number it has with all the "new" things that have been done and turned out bad. How did we get to where we are. Look at it this way women have slept on their backs for centuries before this study was done and a lot of babies were born. Yes I am pregnant and at 34 weeks I no longer sleep flat on my back. I to have bad back problems that seem to only be relieved by being on my back. So I have extra pillows that keep me propped up and am able to sleep and get relief that way. I found that I can't really sleep well on either of my sides because it hurts my hips and makes them numb. Work out a comfortable position without being flat on your back.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• They have known for decades that it's not a good idea to spend long periods of time flat on your back later in pregnancy. The problem is the womb pressing on the blood veins. In early weeks the womb isn't heavy enough to cause the problem of compressed blood vessels. Talk with your health care provider. I recommend taking pregnancy and childbirth classes as soon as possible. There are 4 exercises that you can do to make pregnancy more comfortable and may make birth easier and you could be doing those now.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I always slept on my back....my dr said it was fine.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2010