tantrums at 4??

My son had minor terrible 2 tantrums but easily distracted and we worked through them fine. WELL! Nearly 2yrs later he has the tantrums of all tantrums when we are leaving someplace he doesn't want to leave(a friend's, Papa's, etc) kicking and screaming and hitting. I was sooo angry at him (and my back physically hurt from the ordeal) that I put him in his car seat and couldn't even talk to him on the way home. I felt the worst mom for being that angry and not speaking to him (what a terrible lesson to teach him...shut people out) I explained that if he chooses to behave that way he won't be allowed to go to that friend's house or play with the toys at Papa's but doesn't phase him.
ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

ChristineS

Asked by ChristineS at 10:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It will phase him when it's reality... young kids, 0-6 year old, are truly in the here and now. It's hard to grasp things that will or may happen in the future. Granted at 4 they can start grasping at that idea, but they really are in the here and now.... by the time they are 6 they really do get it.

The best thing you can do is follow through with what you said. If his behavior doesn't approve then make sure that the next time he wants to go to a friends house you say NO; or the next time you are at Papa's house he doesn't play with the toys.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My 2 oldest sons threw tantrums through kindergarten. Not in school, but it seemed like once he hit first grade it stopped with both of them.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• my son is 4 too and he has been a handfull lately. His attitude, talking abck, tantrums, crying over everything. terrible 2s were nothing compared to this. Im hoping its a phase that will pass very quickly!
    Rychelle

Answer by Rychelle at 2:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I also have a 3 1/2 year old that throws very physical tantrums, they can last for a very long time and are physically and emotional draining for me, I swear she has some super strength. So I have no advise but will be watching you post for suggestions also. You are not alone! Good luck to you.
    lesliebabl

Answer by lesliebabl at 11:28 AM on Nov. 11, 2008