Surrogate questions...

My friend has had all sorts of problems trying to conceive. Her first round of IVF failed. She's not sure she wants to try IVF again. Her and her husband thought about surrogacy so I thought I'd see what I could find out. Has anyone done this? Will insurance pay for it?

angiemgiu

Asked by angiemgiu at 1:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• nope, surrogacy is not covered by insurance, the cost would be 100% out of pocket
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I'm sorry your friends are having such a hard time =( Like peanutsmommy said, it's out of pocket.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:22 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Usually the "parents" pay for the surrogacy, but check with your state to make sure that it's legal too, some states don't allow surrogacy.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• What about the actual pregnancy? Would that count as just a regular pregnancy on the surrogate's insurance?
    angiemgiu

Comment by angiemgiu (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• yes it would count as a regular pregnancy, but the adoptive parents generally pay for any co-pays and anything not covered by insurance, and things like maternity clothes
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2010