my best friend is a guy

my best friend is a guy, my husband is my top priority and my closest friend, but my other best friend is a guy. He is someone I can vent to when things aren't going great at home or someone to hang out with when my hubby is hanging out with his friends or whatever. We are JUST friends, he is in the middle of a divorce and I am happily married. Why then does everyone think this is bad? My husband is ok with my friendship with him and even likes him, why do other women think I am just going to cheat with him? I know most people think you cannot be friends with the opposite sex, thats just plain stupid. We both know we are just friends and are not looking to take it to the next level. His friends give him grief because I am married, so what I hook him up with my friends, I just don't understand why everyone butts in. Do you think men and women can be JUST friends? Why why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• There is a slight shadiness to it. Lol. I have no idea why.....

khf22

Answer by khf22 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I think they can, but very often love starts with friendship also , this is why some butt in............., power to you and your guy friend!

Answer by older at 1:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• my best friend from college is a guy, he knows my life story inside, outside and backwards..... I wish he didn't live 5 states away. I totally think men and women can be just friends
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My husband says if a guy hangs around you,he wants to sleep with you. He's just biding his time until he gets a go from you. he says no straight guy is going to bother with you if he hasn't at least thought it.
    I don't know if this is true. I figure if its from a guy who is the least horndog i know,there must be some truth to it!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• for YEARS my best friend was a guy too! See nothing wrong with it at all! was a great way to get the other sex perspective...LOVE LOVE LOVE him still but distance is a killer and although we get together and its like weve never been apart I know that if shit hit the fan hed be therer in a second and vice versa!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I know that a man and woman can be just friends, but many people can not understand this. My BF through high school and college was a guy. We used to joke that he was going to be my Maid of Honor at my wedding and I would be his 'Best Man". He met this chick who would not believe we were 'just friends' and not 'friends with benefits'. She refused to allow me to even go to the wedding. To this day, she insists that he and I had been lovers and insists that we are both lying about it.
    It's been 15 years, but I really miss my friend.
    As long as your DH is fine with it, it's no one else's business.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My best friend was a guy until I moved away and he went overseas. Men and women CAN be friends. There is nothing wrong with it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I've had a BFF that was a guy. He would come over and play video games and things before I got married. We had talked before I met my hubby and agreed that we didn't want to ruin our friendship by taking it further. The day before I got married, he called and we talked for almost 2 hours.

The problem is stereotyping. All guys are not out to get into a woman's pants. Some actually just want to be friends.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Alot of my good friends are men, it is definately possible. I think it's wonderful to have a male friend you can talk to.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yes, they can be just friends. I have one close guy friend with whom I can talk about anything, but my Husband is my Best Friend and I tell Him EVERYTHING. My guy friend is very happy in his relationship and I am beyond happy in my Marriage, and we consider each other siblings more than anything. So there would definitely never be anything more..no matter what. That would just be icky. lol.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 1:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2010