• In the Spotlight:

HELP! My 4 year old son has learned to say some VERY mean things....

I don't know where he has learned these things, but I am warning you they are graphic in the sense that it is something you would probably see in a horror film! For instance, my step mom told me that while he was at her house the other day, he told her he was going to pull her finger nails off with pliers! He has said things like he was going to cut eye balls out, or tie someone up and put them in the road so a car would hit them and they would get killed. He has really been saying things like this in the past few weeks. I have asked him where he hears that from and he says, "I don't know". My Fiance and I have racked our brains trying to think of where he hears it from. We don't say things like that, and we surely don't watch horror movies with him. He does go to Preschool.. I just don't know. I am very concerned that this is not normal.

jmif3

Asked by jmif3 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yeah i dont think thats normal and would scare the crap out of me but maybe he is hearing it from someone he goes to preschool with. if that was going on with me i would be taken my kid to a shirnk im not gonna get killed in my sleep by my kid cause i grounded them or took toys away
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Talk to all of his care providers. Do you guys watch movies like that while he is sleeping? Perhaps he is hiding in the hallway or something? I used to do that when I was little. I would hide in the hallway and watch tv while I was supposed to be sleeping. But definately talk to all of his teachers and your family that watches him. See if the teachers have noticed anything going on with any of the other kids, and let them know what is going on so they can have a heads up in case he is worrying other children there. I think a professional evaluation probably isn't a bad idea!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• It could be that one of the other kids is watching horror movies and telling him about them. My daughter went to a daycare for single moms who were full time students, so some of the mom's weren't the greatest parents. I remember one little girl would pretend to be Jason when the other kids were being superheros. And she was only two. When they talked to her mom about it, she didn't see anything wrong with her two year old (almost three) watching horror films. The eval is a good idea too, but if he is hearing it from another child, he may just be repeating it. Most preschoolers can't really come up with those ideas on their own, at least I don't think so.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• It could be older kids saying things like that aswell as what he has watched on TV. I think personally that your little guy may be going for the shock factor. Koids will do that from time to time. Kinda of like when they talk about boogers and farts...I have a 11,3 and 2 year old and the three year old picks up whatever the 11 year old says or does. Not to mention when my 11 year old has friends over than it can be interesting what they come up with. Our newest thing was trying to eliminate the word freaking from his "freaking" vocababulary...

Just keep up with telling him that its not nice to talk like that...Also mention to him it hurts peoples feelings and I bet it stops after it gets old. Hang in there.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 2:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I have 3 yr old also, and have noticed the parrot talk starting. She is coming up with the darndest things to say. anyways wonder if it is the age and it will pass. I do believe your son is hearing this stuff at school from another kid or kids. Does he ride the bus? You would not believe what the kids say on the bus.. appalling.
    strtngovrmom

Answer by strtngovrmom at 10:04 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• That is pretty extreme, but kids have great imaginations and especially if it is fueled by another child he goes to school with that has older siblings that talk that way or parents let watch scary movies. I would just talk to him and let him know that things like that are not okay to say and try to see where they are coming from, talk to his teachers to see if he says stuff at school or if there is a child there that talks that way. I would not freak out just yet. Good luck
    lesliebabl

Answer by lesliebabl at 11:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2008