Is safe to use a stephoscope when your pregnant to hear your babys heartbeat? They aren't electric it

Is safe to use a stephoscope when your pregnant to hear your babys heartbeat? They aren't electric it would be more like listening with a glass right? I want to make sure baby is ok so I figure if I hear the heartbeats then less stress.

babydoll845

Asked by babydoll845 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes, it's perfectly safe
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yup, have fun!
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yes, it is. There is also a thing you can buy at Target (or wherever) called Bebe Sounds (?) that lets you hear the baby's heartbeat.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• IDK if you can even hear a baby's heartbeat with a stethoscope, that is why they use a doppler in the ob's office, but nope it won't hurt anything to try
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It's going to be really, really hard to hear the baby's heartbeat with a stethoscope; you'd have to be pretty far along in your pregnancy and the baby would have to be positioned just right.

If you want to hear the baby's heartbeat, rent or buy a Dopplar monitor (like they use in the doctor's office).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yeah you can, but you won't be able to pick up anything until your 3rd trimester. Same with those bebe sounds things, they rarely work. The website: http://www.heartbeatsathome.com/ allows you to rent the same kind of doppler a doctors office uses and that is safe as well
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• You can hear it perfectly well with a stethescope by about 25 weeks. It will take some practice at finding it, but it can be done! My husband could always hear our babies' heartbeats with his bare ear against my belly by about 35 weeks.

They use a doppler because it's easier, not because it's better. My whole pregnancy we used a wooden horn or a fetoscope to hear my son's heartbeat. It sounds very different when you hear it as it is and not through ultrasound. It's very cool!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I think there is something called a fetascope, which might be better at detecting a fetal heartbeat. Don't get nervous if you don't hear a heartbeat with a stethoscope though, not sure how well it will work.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• You can't hear it with a regular stethascope. The easiest to hear it with is a doppler and it's supposed to be illeagal to buy without a medical order. The kind you can buy are supposed to be for fun not to tell if the baby is ok. It can be hard to find the heartbeat if the baby is in certain positions and parents can freak that there is something wrong for no reason. I was sick a lot during one pregnancy and it would be hard at times for nurses to find the heartbeat in the hospital when the baby was fine. If you want to know if the baby is ok paying attention to the movement is still probably best.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yes. FYI, it is YOU"RE. Big difference.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2010