Who is Struggling in this economy?

Is your husband working? How are you handeling this terrible economy? do you have any tips for those who need money?

nma928

Asked by nma928 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• Oh man, we are struggling so bad. My husband is in the military, but let me tell yah, they don't make much money at all! Its definantly not enough considering what they do for our country. My tax man actually looked at his pay for the year and giggled and said that's rediculous (he used to be in the military as well) I just try to budget everything. I have a book that I write down everything that needs to be paid and how much we have. The economy sucks right now and I am sure that A LOT of people are in the same boat. Keep your head up, it has to get better eventually.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My husband has a job for now. He didnt for almost 2 yrs though and we went through our 401k, almost 10k in savings and still got unemployment. He went back to work making 1/3 less then he was before, but its better than nothing. We got into cutting ALOT to make it. No cell phones. Basic cable. No car payments, we gave up our car for something cheaper. We started a garden both in the winter and summer months so I dont have to buy some things at the store anymore. We do alot of clothing recycling with family & friends. My daughters clothes fit my cousins little girl, and her oldest daughters fit my daughters, so we pass clothes back and forth. I dont buy myself clothes, only at tax time and in the summer (few shorts etc). Basically what you can live without, you live without. Even now we are back on our feet a little, Im not secure enough to spend money in this economy.

Answer by gemgem at 1:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• No we aren't struggling. We own a Carpet Cleaning business that we work mostly part time...though we are making the push for it being the only "job", he does door to door with Time Warner Cable, mainly for the benefits (this is what we want to phase out).

If you are struggling to pay bills, first you should get rid of the non-necessities. No one needs internet or cell phones or cable. Don't eat out, cook from scratch, buy used clothing and such, save money on cleaners for your home by making them: a bottle with water and vinegar and some baking soda will clean your entire home....spend $10 on homeamde lundry detergent supplies...that $10 will give you enough detergent for over 18 months...it will make you 3+ batches, each batch costs roughly $3.50 and lasts 6 months.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• We are but we are hoping to be out of debt in 2 years so not much longer! we started doing plasma that's an extra 400 a month that we put to one loan plus the minimum payment so we will have 35000 dollars paid in 2 years! Maybe you can do something like thtat?
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 2:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Heidikans what is plasma?
    nma928

Comment by nma928 (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• We are not struggling but we are not spending either. We live on basics and put everything we can away just in case. We dont eat out, we dont buy anything we dont need.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• No. We are doing fine. My husband and I both have good careers. We just bought a new car as well. I would suggest one you either pick up a 2nd job, cut out internet, eating out, non-necessities, if you have a cell phone and landline-cut out the landline.  We save so much every month just by having cell phones, our internet is free/cable is free b/c my husband is a Network Engineer for a cable company, we plan meals and make things from scratch. 

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Well, I get disability (SSD), so my income is fairly stable. I learned a loooong time ago to put money aside and to be frugal, so the recession didn't affect me all that much.
    Anonymous

• We are struggling, but we will be okay. I use January, Feb and March.as my catch up months. We stay home and watch tv or free movies from the library. Only eat at home and find entertainment in the house. Usually by spring things are looking up some. It will never be easy again I don't think, but at least we won't be so far behind.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• selling plasma is similar giving blood but they use the plasma. You have to find a plasma center. Google it.
    Anonymous