Making my dark hair lighter....

I've kept my hair dark for the past couple of years. i really like it, but think it's time for a change. My hairdresser says the only way to do it is to use bleach. She says she can adjust it to make whatever shade I want but I'm still a little nervous. Is she right or can I just dye it lighter? She said even to do highlights she'd have to use the bleach.

angiemgiu

Asked by angiemgiu at 1:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• i'd gradually go lighter with hilights, if your hair is as dark as mine (almost black) then yes, she'd have to use bleach
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• it's very difficult to get darker dyes out...especially anything with red tones, and typicaly the only way to get it to a dramatically lighter color....such as a reddish brown to blonde, you need to strip the color, but keep in mind this will really damage your hair, especially if you've been damaging it by dying it. When I stripped my hair about a year and a half ago it turned to mush and was falling out and I had to chop it all off
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I'm naturally blond, but my hair dresser still has to use bleach on mine to go lighter. It's the way it goes.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• She's right. Just do it very very gradually! GL!
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 5:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2010