Getting a spiral perm this week, will be the first perm Ive ever had.. Any tips for taking proper care of it?

Do you have any hair product suggestions, like shampoo, cond, mousse, spray, etc? I will talk to the lady doing it when I get it done but just looking ahead to try and make sure I take good care of my hair once I get it.. Any perm tips and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• After you wash it towel dry and spray on spray for curly hair, and use a diffuser and squish up the curl in the diffuser as you dry you will have beautiful curls instead of frizz.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2010

• Be sure it's what you want. Unless you typically wash and let your hair air dry..or you intend to do lots of styling, you will need a diffuser for your blowdryer. Perms are really damaging. If your hair has been colored in the last 6 months..expect even more damage. I wore perms for years..ugh, I so wish I never had.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Ask your stylist about aftercare....she should have good ideas.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 5:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I always had a bad habit after I got mine done that I wanted it straight again, so i would just say don't straighten it for a while after
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 2:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Don't wash it for 48 hours after you have it done. It will reverse the perm. Unless you don't like it. There are shampoos that you can buy at salons that are specifically for curly hair. I would recomment matrix curls. I love it! Its in a slim green bottle. Its the opposite of matrix sleek a shine.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• When my hair was permed and I wore it curly, I used Paul Mitchell products on it and let it air dry. I had it permed every 3 months and got it cut once between perms. My hair was healthy and it's a very easy style for which to care. I liked it a lot but finally got tired of it and wanted something different.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I never used a special shampoo or anything, just a good moisturizing one since a perm dries out your hair. I used a matching conditioner and finger combed my hair while it was in. Once I was out of the shower, I'd pat it dry, put a little gel or mousse in, finger-style it, and let it air dry. I never used a blow dryer. As long as you put a little something in it it won't frizz from air-drying. I never washed it daily - the second day I'd spritz it with a little water to bring it back to life. IMO perms aren't really high maintenance til they start growing out, then they're just a pain. I always liked perms because they made doing my hair faster & easier. I couldn't even tell you how many perms I've had in my life - when I was younger my mom took me in for 2 per year, and once I was older I got one whenever I wanted, so I really had a lot! GL, hope you like it!
    Anonymous

• My aunt told me to put a little conditioner on it after you shower...and leave it. Just regular conditioner instead of mouse or gel, it worked great for me!
    coreym

Answer by coreym at 12:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2010