Any ideas how to get my cat to eat again?

About Thursday my cat stopped eating, all I can get in her is liquids nothing else. She also has lost a lot of weight. I have made a Vet appt but its in a couple of days, so I need some ideas on how I might be able to feed her.

1Giovanni

Asked by 1Giovanni at 1:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Pets

• How old is your cat? Buy Cat Milk for her. It contains the vitamins and some calory as well to keep her alive until Wednesday. Does she throw up or just stopped eating? Maybe there is something with her teeth. So buy her soft food and try to feed her. Check her teeth if they are broken or something. There is soft food for old cats (senior) that are soft and contains everything she needs. You can mix the milk with the soft food and put it in her mouth with an injection tube like for the baby cats. Do the same with the water. It doesn't matter if some comes out of her mouth. The main thing that something stays in. I am so crossing my finger for her. Email me if you need more advice or just a virtual hug. :)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 2:11 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Go to the vet ASAP if she's stopped eating and lost weight. In a few days may be too late.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• The soonest appt I can get is Wed morning. They are completely book until then. I tried to get them to squeeze her in today, but they just couldn't.
    1Giovanni

Comment by 1Giovanni (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• you will probably have to force her to eat.. i know it sounds mean but she may have gotten worms...
    momof241988

Answer by momof241988 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Get her to the Vet ASAP! call a different vet. Any time my pets have been sick my vet can ALWAYS get them in the same day.
    goldengrl65

Answer by goldengrl65 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My cat is about 2 years old. She was severely abused, before we got her. She never was able to gain a lot of weight, but now she has loss the little weight that she had.

Thanks adriennfaklya for the ideas, I will try those.

1Giovanni

Comment by 1Giovanni (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• First off, she really needs to be seen ASAP ~ yesterday would be better. Until you get to the vet, rub some Karo on her gums each time you give her water (should be each hour for now). Go to your vet NOW (today) and get a tube of Nutrical (should be around $10) and rub that on her gums instead of the Karo. While you are there tell them how many days it has been since she has eaten/her current weight! Ask if there is an emergency vet they would recommend since they can't seem to fit her in!!!!

At this point, in addition to whatever the initial problem is/was you are also looking at kidney failure, liver problems, cardiac symptoms (from all of the stress), and several other issues including shock and possibly losing your cat. It's rare for a cat to not eat unless there is something serious to begin with so I can't stress enough that you should NOT wait until Wed. I hope things work out for you and your cat.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• what do you normally feed her? Have you tried moist meals? Or some ground up cooked chicken or beef? Or tuna? When my cats are sick, I give them pumpkin pie filling. A vet told me to do that. They love the taste, it's healthy for them and it helps their digewstive system if anything is out of whack.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I have been giving her soft food, but she just drinks the liquid.
    1Giovanni

Comment by 1Giovanni (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• If this is happening show up at the vet and tell them this can't wait!!! I'm concerned that she ate something she shouldn't have and it is stuck! If they won't see her as an emergency take her to another vet.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2010