how do you fight a sinus infection w/o meds?? or can you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Health

• i donno if you can or not but id at least try something to ease the awful feeling
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 10:51 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I have gone without meds and it takes so long to overcome a sinus infection without meds. Its possible but it will take over a week and you will suffer. It is best to go to the doctors. It will break that nasty stuff up and you will be better in half the time. I tried many over the counter meds but nothing has been as good as the antibiotics.
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 10:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Antibiotics are the best for an infection, but to stay comfortable and make healing faster, lots of steam to break up the congestion will help. Hot showers, humidifier and lots of hot drinks, like tea will help. I've also used to sudacare vapor tablets in the shower to help. And spicy food is always good to get the nose running and clear out the sinuses! f you can make a spicy taco soup, even better, you combine the steam and spice. Just eat it next to a box of tissues!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Hmmm, this could be tricky. Things to consider are the color of your, ahem, drainage. Different colors mean different things. If the drainage is green(purulent or pus) it may be time for antibiotics. It could be a viral infection, so antibiotics are not prescribed. Over the counter meds to allieve symptoms until the viral infection resolves on its own may be necessary. Do you have allergies? Are you taking meds? A neti pot with saline water rinse is one option, but not useful if you are really stuffy. This is safe for most people, caution if you have extensive sinus probs. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Thank you all for your answers. I do not have money to go to the doctor and I do not have insurance. The drainage is clear (no color at all). My face feels all stuffy... mostly on one side. My head,ears, eyes and teeth hurt more on my left side (the side I sleep on).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I would try getting some Airborne from Wal-Mart, load up on vitamin C and eat lots of fresh garlic...garlic is a natural anti-viral/anti-fungal.

Drink lots of water, and use a saline solution with a Neti pot to get the yucky stuff out of your sinuses.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 11:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Unless your mucus is green or yellowish, you do not need an antibiotic. I hardly ever get an antibiotic, simply because they cause me more issues than I had to begin with. I drink plenty of fluids, use a sinus flush system, when I become really congested I use vicks and sometimes do a steam treatment. REST..
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:51 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• With congestion and pain on one side, it sounds like you aren't really draining. And if you don't drain, you could end up with a bad infection. Try a mucolytic agent like Mucinex or something with guafenesin in it (like Robitussin) , drink lots of water, use steam (like hot showers, hot soup or tea) to help break everything up so you can drain.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 11:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Hi I Just recently had a sinus infection similar to what you described , and when I bent down my head troubed. My doctor said drink lots of fluid steam, from a pan of water on the stove or shower, leave water in a pan on register. My Home remedy and it works drink grape juice 100%, stay away from milk products , margrine sour cream ect, until you get through this, it took about 1 week . I will pray for you.
    MImifoy

Answer by MImifoy at 12:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• If there is no color there is no infection... Do you have allergies? Try benadryl or even some steam! Vicks under the nose might help too... If none of that works I know a rather unpleasnt trick... Get some warm salt water and with a dropper flush your sinuses out... tilt you head to the side over a sink or tub breath through your mouth and just put the dropper in one nostril and let the water come out the other... I know it sucks but it works to un clog!

If you feel you aren't getting better I can give you a Rx Card for free. But the Dr. visit would come out of pocket... I can help you there too. Allof our medical discount plans are $20 this month but still a charge. Try the free stuff first and let me know if you want any help on the benefits side.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2008