am i making the right desision to go to the army?

i am training to get ready for basic training in the us army, but wont be shipped out forabout 3 months. i am very out of shape. i went running today and went i got home i threw up. there are many reasons why im joining the us army. but i need help knowing if this is a good desicion to be away from my husband and 15 month old son. please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• My husband is military. We have been apart more than we have been together the last couple years. And we have a 1 and a 2 year old. It is hard, but it does take a certain kind of personality to be a spouse and to be a soldier. If your husband is supportive then that is awesome. If you are going active duty it has wonderful opportunities the civilian world doesn't. If you are look at the positives more than the negatives, health care, housing and BAH, the support networks you will learn about and utilize, early retirement, the educational training, etc etc etc .... It is a good life. Hard sometimes, but fun too. I loved living on our last post. I understand as a mother it would be that much harder being away from a child, but it you have come to terms that you are doing what you need to now to sacrifice for a better future for your family, good for you. BTW I have cousins who were both marines, hubby and wife.....
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Hun, it sounds to me you are having second thoughts, you will be away from your son in his molding years, is this really what you want? you are the only one to make this decision, follow your heart.

Answer by older at 2:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I forbid my husband to go back in for that reason, being away from us in a time where everything in the world is a little wacked. He could die tomorrow and my time with him would have been made even shorter.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• ....Their kids turned out just fine. Military children do adjust. They too will have their problems and issues, but so do children who live in the same home their entire childhood. You do what's right for you and your family. Best of luck!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I went to army basic training so I can help. It is hard work and have to follow orders and even if you do not mess up and others do you pay the price. You have to do so many sit ups, and run, and weapon training. They will teach you how to fire a weapon, clean it and even take apart and put back together. YOu have cleaning chores, night time chores, repael from a tower, stay out in the field over night, throw live gardies. Plus lots of other stuff but not enough room for all here. I will if want to stay In touch give you more advice if like. But if make it college, good health insurance, but travel every couple of years, good pay. I will look forward to hear from you if need or want more adive. YOu have to have a good head on your shoulders to do all they ask and I just went in 1992. NOt in but went all the way through cause did not pass weapon training boot go blisters and in hosiptal and missed some training.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Like someone else said it takes a special person to be in the military or to be a military spouse. The best advice would be to follow your heart only you know what is good for you.
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I don't think that being out of shape should stop you from joining. You've got three months to train for it, and I bet you'll make a lot of progress during that time.

It is okay if you want to delay joining in order to think about it and to get into better shape.
    Good luck making that decision.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• A child that young needs its mother.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 28, 2010