How much (approx) did you spend on formula per week or month?

I'm breastfeeding now, but I'm going back to work when he's 3 months old. I'll try to continue bfding but if I can't I want to prepare approx how much formula does a 3 months or older infant needs? Thanks in advance

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Once mine were formula only, they went through anywhere between 8-13 cans per month of powder. It really depends what kind (brand, form, & variety) you're using, and how much bm baby will get, and how much gets wasted.
    Anonymous

• we spend 40 a month on formula we use parents choice. for a big can it's 11.88
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 2:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yeah, it depends on what brand you chose. You can get coupons from companies like Similac, Gerber (Good Start) and Enfamil. The Costco brand of formula is the SAME as Enfamil. So is the Babies R Us brand. You are paying for the name (Enfamil), not the contents.

My 8 month old goes through about a can (big one/regular size...I think it's 24 or 28 oz.) a week. Prices per can vary from 11$-25$.

Here is a calculator for trying to figure out how much you will need.

http://www.enfamil.com/formula_calculator/index.html
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My DD is 6 months and she uses about a can per week-no matter what brand it is. I've recently started buying a bigger can that I found at target so it lasts longer.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• we were spending like $100 a week on formula with my ds (he is two now)
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 2:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• 100 dollars a week...WOW I have never heard such thing!! Maybe 100 Dollars a month if you are using the spendy stuff. We used Parents choice as well worked great and the contents are EXACTLY the same as any other brand you buy!! If you can afford to spend that much a week then go for it, but I think that it is def. Foolish!!
    nat1387

Answer by nat1387 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I have twins and spend about 350- 400 dollars a month. I have recently switched to targets up and up brand! The FDA approved all infant formulas to have the same nurtritional needs so its just up to you on how much you wanna spend
    TwinMomma2010

Answer by TwinMomma2010 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• we were spending $75 a month for the Gerber brand formula.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Babies need about 32 ounces of formula until they are 12 months old. Whole milk is not recommended until after a year. Many working mothers find they can combine working and breastfeeding. I've been taking care of my grandson since he was a baby and his working mom never thought she would still be nursing a 2 year old. It turned out he has multiple allergies and very bad eczema and needs to keep breastfeeding. Nursing Mother, Working Mother by Gale Pryor is a great book.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• i agree with pp
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:30 AM on Dec. 28, 2010