potty training..PLEASE HELp!

We just started today with my 2 yr old son and so far he's already pooped and pee'd in his undies in the first 15 min of wearing them then got all mad when I said he was suppose to go in the potty not his undies and now he's screamin and throwing a fit saying I dont want potty..but after he cooled off i sat him on it again and he was okay ..what do i do when he doesnt go in the potty and goes in his undies..how do i get him to understand ...do i punish him..what did u tell ur child right then when they went in there undies?

howardsmom

Asked by howardsmom at 2:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• And he just pee'd his undies again!!
    howardsmom

Comment by howardsmom (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Doesn't sound like he's ready just yet. The more you push it, the more he's going to resist.
    Anonymous

• i took my kids to the potty every 15 min.. and praised them when they went to the bathroom. in the training period. they soon got the hang of it but had accidents every once in awhile.. he might not get the hang of it within days so i would say stop if he doesn`t then try again after some time. my kids would look at books while sitting there.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I am going to keep my son in diapers until he starts having success on the potty every day. I will switch to underwear when he does.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Have you tried the 3 day method? It worked really well for us! Send me your email address if you want it.
    DS had over 30 accidents on the first day. Try not to get too upset, just clean it up, and remind him he needs to go to the potty. Day 2, he had 6 or 7 in the morning, then something clicked! It takes more than 15 minutes for them to get it! You have to be very patient and very consistent. You have to keep your cool. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Expect a lot of accidents at first! When my kids wet their pants I would pick them up and RUN to the bathroom, saying, "OH NO! You are supposed to do that in the potty, not your pants. Hurry, let's sit on the potty . . . " Stuff like that. Then I would strip them and have them sit on the potty. After a day or two of going through SEVERAL outfits, they usually would wet a tiny bit and then stop themselves and finish when I ran them to the potty. After a few days they were 'mostly' accident free. Mostly meaning we maybe only had one accident a day or every other day. My first two have NEVER told me they needed to go. I had to remember to take them every few hours or I would have wet pants to deal with. They would old it as long as they could, but if I forgot to put them on the toilet I had a huge mess. Eventually they just started taking themselves and still don't tell me they need to go. My daughter though,
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• . . . My daughter tells me she needs to go, or she strips! :D She just turned 2 and has been potty trained since about 18 months. Remember accidents happen. FOr some kids it means a lot of accidents. I had one who got SO busy with what he was doing he would forget (and still does) to go potty. Then we have accidents. I also have one who sometimes waits too long and wets his pants just as he gets to the toilet. Be patient. You'll have extra laundry for a while, but they will eventually get it!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Hes going as soon as we get off the toilet ... Any tips for that? Im trying just leaving him naked right now bc as soon as i put undies on he goes
    howardsmom

Comment by howardsmom (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• You JUST started! :D That is perfectly normal. Just pick him up, put him back on the toilet, and say, "you do that in the potty." True, he won't do anything after just wetting his pants, but your putting the sitting on the toilet as close as you can to the wetting. Eventually he will get it at the same time! Give it a few days. If no success whatsoever, give it a few more weeks and try again.

It's a process and can be a LONG process. It will eventually be over and you will not remember so clearly all the frustration. I wanted so badly to be done and got SO tired of the messes. With one son, NOTHING worked. Just time and training, over and over again. But, about 6 months ago I finally ended up with just ONE child in diapers!!! My other kids are now 5, 3, 2, and one. I am going to start my one year old very soon! I like starting them early. It does make for a longer process, but I have never had battles with them.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2010