Sneaky or acceptable?

I bought my son a train table and within an hour of playing with it he had broken 2 of the parts of the track. I called the company and told them they were shipped to us broken. I didn't think they would replace them if I told them the truth. IMO they should have replaced them regardless becuase they were cheaply made. I know what I did was sneaky but my husband thinks it was a little to sneaky. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It sounds to me that this company never made a well made product, or it would have lasted more than a day or two, it was sneaky but acceptable.

Answer by older at 2:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• just plain wrong, you should have told them the truth and they either replace them or they don't. Is this the kind of thing you want your children to do?
    Anonymous

• You lied and that is sneaky. Very well made toys can be broken by children who are not taught to take care of their things. You were wrong and you know it. Hope your husbands higher moral code will be passed on to your child and not yours.
    Anonymous

• Sneaky.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 2:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It was sneaky. Could you have just taken it back to a retailer and exchanged it?
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I understand you not taking it to retailer this time of year, I don't blame you, I expect things to last more then a few minutes,its a childs toy it should be made to be played with.
    Im kinda shocked by some of the replies.
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 2:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I personally can't understand how people can lie like this and not feel guilty. I feel guilty about any type of lie--even lies by omission. I could never tell an out and out lie like that.
    Now, I would call the company and tell them that there toys were cheap and broke right away and demand a replacement. THAT I have done, but lie?? No, that's just not right.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It's called fraud! Not only is it wrong, but it's illegal! No matter how cheaply something is made lying about it's condition in order to get something for free, is fraud. Although I don't see the company actually filing charges over something like this, technically it is possible. In addition, it doesn't really set the proper example for your child.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:49 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• sneaky.

if it were me, i would just ask for my money back. if it's not going to last even 2 hours of play, i dont want it. i would've called, told the truth and asked for my money back.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Ive done it. Sounds like they didnt make the product well anyway. You just got it and it broke on the first play. Sounds like they were the sneaky ones handing out a bad product first. Making them replace it sounds reasonable to me.

Answer by gemgem at 2:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2010