How do I know if my 12 year old daughter really has friends?

My daughter has alot of friends at school (so she says), but I am worried because she does not get invited to their houses or to hang out with them at the mall or skating rink like the other little girls do. The little girl that my daughter says is her best friend has Facebook pictures of her and another little girl having a sleep-over at her house but my daughter was left out. I have encouraged my daughter to have friends over, but I think she is ashamed because we live in a smaller house. I am worried about her because as a pre-teen I was very shy and was lonely most of the time.

huffmanall4

Asked by huffmanall4 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well it sounds like she keeps to herself. I worry about this stuff with my son who is 10. Is she is after school sports? Does she do anything outside of the house and school? If not I would sign her up. Its a great way to get them out there meeting new kids and it gives them the ability to blossom socially.

Answer by gemgem at 2:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I would just get her involved in some community events. Don't try to force her or make a big deal with the girls at school unless she tells you she's being picked on or bullied. Get her involved in some kind of volunteer work or maybe taking an art class at the local college or community center.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• if she is not always on the phone with friends , wanting to have them over to the house or over to their house then she most likely doesn't really have any 'friends' can you enroll her in an activity like karate, swim, gymnastics etc so she can have some common ground and make friends
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 2:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• unless she is unhappy... it sounds more like YOU have an issue than her having an issue.
    Anonymous