its not what you say, its how you say it! vent... adult content

so my husband's best friend and ex wing-man (i say ex cause both of them are married now) is having his wedding reception this new year's eve. they eloped last year, then he deployed for a year and returned a few weeks ago. anyway, the party is "cocktail attire". we have all the babysitting arrangements, the only problem is me. cocktail dresses are thinner material and i don't even have to try one on to know i'll look like a fat sack of potatoes in it. but, i went to the mall today by myself with our 3 kids and decided to search. i scanned each store and i truly didnt like a thing i saw. but i only checked out department stores, going to white & black or cache is not in our budget. i wouldnt feel comfortable in a dress like that, 3 kids later and i have a fat ass & thighs, and the fat mommy pouch on my belly. my new year's rez is to work on my mid-section but til then im better off wearing jeans!

so anyway, he came home on his lunch break and we had just gotten back from the mall. i said i didnt find anything and im probably not going to go if i dont find a dress. and he snapped back with "well im going regardless!" okay.. jeez.. i never said you can't go. i just said i don't want to go! im fine with buying some damn sparklers and fireworks and giving the kids a show! id love to spend NYE with him but not in a cocktail dress. and new year's day we're going to a football game together just the 2 of us anyway.

i guess he's mad now that i dont want to go. what would you do in this situation, if you had a less than perfect body? suck it up and feel like a fat whale all night, or stay home?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:41 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• Before I got pregnant I weighed 215 and I am 5'5. I have always been a "plus size" and wear size 16-17 jeans! You know what though, its the body I have and I work it! You have to love yourself, and show people you still got it! You have to believe it too!! I know, sounds hard... but if you can't love yourself, how can you expect others too? I have the wide hips and big thighs too! You just have to work what you have and be proud of your body! :)
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I would wear something that works with my body and have a good time.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• You could get some spanx or some other slimming garment to hide your mommy pouch. That's what I did when I bought a clingy dress for my daughter's first birthday party. Then put on a pair of black leggings to make your legs look more thin.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• You can use a girdle...they still have girdles in the store that will make you look fantastic. Instead of going shopping with the kids, pick someone you can trust that can help you pick out a dress. I needed a cocktail dress for a party I was attending and went to Ross and got it. Its so nice and I love it! I have a little pouch of a stomach so I bought a girdle and no one knew I had it on!
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 4:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Find something that flatters your figure. It's not impossible.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Just wear slimming colors. Dark colors are best. There's something you can buy at Walgreens for about 30 bucks called a Kymara girdle or something like that. It helps you to look slimmer. Wear that underneath a dark colored dress and you should be fine.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:55 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• I agree with some of the other ladies. Buy a girdle or spanks or something like that if you're uncomfortable with your "pouch". I don't know if they have this store in your area, but we have a store called DEB. It looks like a teenie-bopper store, but they have really pretty dresses...and plus sizes. Do some shopping online first and find some styles that you like in stores, so you have a plan already, and then go try them on and see what works.
    Gemska

Answer by Gemska at 8:50 AM on Dec. 28, 2010

• you're right its not. but i only have til friday to find one, and its impossible to try dresses on with 3 kids at your side. my mil is sick, my mom's working, and he doesn't get home til 7:30 every night. idk what to do!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010