Cereal?....

Hello. I have a 15 week old baby boy. I have wanted to start him on single grain rice cereal mixed with breast milk and fed to him on a spoon. I have tried it a few times, but it seems as though he can't get enough and will start screaming at me..

What is the best way to feed it to him? How many times a day or week should he get it? When do I start giving it to him without a bottle or breat feeding him?

KalebzMommy1313

Asked by KalebzMommy1313 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Talk to his pedetriatian. I have been told not too give infants the cereal in milk because of overeating and a higher chance of obesity this I was told by a WIC nurse. The pedetrician can tell you how much and how often.
    Lizzie32390

Answer by Lizzie32390 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i didnt give my girls rice until they were 4 months... thats the age the ped told me to start. she said feeding food also causes allergies and there tummys can digest it that well at such a young age. though i know many people who do it. im just the rather be safe than sorry kind of person.

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 11:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• 15 weeks is a bit young to be experimenting with solids. They aren't necessary at this point, and if you really want to feed it, I'd suggest researching a bit more, in addition to asking cafemoms.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• The bottle or breast milk doesn't fill him up anymore! He can eat a 10 ounce bottle without even stopping!!!! He's not fat or anything. He weighs 13.5 pounds, and he is 27 inches tall....
    KalebzMommy1313

Answer by KalebzMommy1313 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My son didn't get cereal til 5 months old then he got 2 teaspoons mixed with formula , twice a day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I started with both my girls on cereal at 1 month. It isn't recomended until 4-6 months. both of their doctor's were informed and as they told me the risks they ultimatly gave me signs to look for if they did develop allergies. Until my girls were 4 months I only fed them cereal once a day if that, and it was only if I felt they were not being saticfied. As most experts will tell you he is too young to have solid food it is more your choice in how much you feel he will be able to eat, you know your son and you should be able to know when enough is enough and when it isn't. with my girls I just followed thier lead if one day they couldn't get enough, I fed them more and if the next they refused cereal I wouldn't push it. Goodluck.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 11:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My son ate constantly. He is not overweight, but I did put 1 tablespoon of formula in his bottle. The ped told me the reason they don't recommend it anymore is because some babies don't have the suck and swallow down well enough. Since my son ate everything (no mess around his face after eating) they said it should be ok. Talk to your ped. Babies aspirate on the heavier formula. If you do put cereal in, make sure the nipple size is wide enough, but not too wide. Good luck.
    Pregowithsecond

Answer by Pregowithsecond at 11:48 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• If he's nursing frequently (you said breastmilk, so I'm assuming you nurse) it's likely a growth spurt. Nurse on demand, as often as he wants. If he finishes, and wants to nurse again in 15 minutes, that's ok, it's going to signal your body to produce the amt he needs to fill him up.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2008