I have a question for pet owners who have bred dogs.

We have a toy applehead Chihuhua, who is just over 8 years old. About 6 years ago, we bred her to a male Chihuahua, and she got pregnant. The way I figured, they should have been born around the end of October of that year. They were born at the beginning of October. Poor little things. One died shortly after birth, then, when Dixie (their mom) was biting the cord off the next one, she accidently bit his foot off. He died before morning. The third one was born ok, but she refused to go near him, wouldn't let him nurse, and wanted nothing to do with him. We got puppy formula, and a bottle, and fed him as long as we could, but he also died before the week was up. I personally think they were born too early,and Dixie knew they weren't going to survive. Anyway, after that, she never went into heat again. I've never known a dog to do that. When she was pregnant, her little sides bulged out, she was miserable. We even took her to the vet to get an ultrasound, we were worried there were more puppies than she could handle. She had no problems delivering them, but does anyone know why she would have never gone into heat again? Could having them have messed up her little system? She's never had any problems, never complains. Just wanting to see what others think, and what might be going on.

cbk_mom3

Asked by cbk_mom3 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Pets

• Wow, I never heard of that. I had a dog that had 6 puppies and bit a leg off one in the birth process, it died also. But she was a good Mother and she went back to normal and had more heats. What has your Vet said, have you asked him about it? Some times there is a dog that just doesn't want to be a Mother and doesn't want to nurse, and it may not have nothing to do with the birth. We had a dog many years ago and she didn't want to nurse, but when I sat next to her and rubbed her back or side, she would lay and nurse the babies. The Vet said she just didn't want to be a Mother, and I said, " Well your about 8 puppies too late with that info."
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I am guessing that she was too young, too inexperienced and her body shut down her ability to breed.

There is no such thing as an appleheaded chihuahua....especially a toy one. They are dogs made for un ethical breeders who like to make up new breeds of dogs and charge un suspecting victims a ton of money for them. They aren't breeds.

Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:54 AM on Dec. 29, 2010