• In the Spotlight:

When in a small group of people say 3 or 4 and they start speaking a foreign language...

Like Spanish and you do not know the language do you think they are talking about you?

I do! My dh and mil do this and I swear it is about me! They go from English to Spanish mid conversation! Drives me nuts!

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 2:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• Its rude....point blank! rude, whether the person realizes it or not, its rude!
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 3:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Hahahaahahaha!!!!I do this all the time. ;) English is my second language... lol...

I will say...when I was learning English- I always thought people were talking about me.
    Its the look I guess.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Yes, I think that when I am in stores and the people are talikng different. It drives me up the wall.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Solve the problem, learn spanish. It makes you a very valuable employee to be bilingual, depending on your job. Seriously, I have heard people swith mid sentence and it is rarely about trying not to talk about someone standing right there. Mexican Americans we know call it 'spanglish".
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It isn't necessarily about you...it's about being rude.

Many bilingual people unconsciously switch back and forth, particularly with "Spanglish". Do they know it makes you uncomfortable? They may not realize this, they may not even think they are being rude, because they are comfortable with you around and just tend to act as they normally would -- which includes going between Spanish and English freely.

Or...they could be talking about you sometimes...which is VERY rude, and inconsiderate. Talk to your husband about it. He KNOWS what is going on.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• My grandparents used to do this. But they didn't speak Spanish, they spoke a local dialect of German known as Pennsylvania Deutsch. Many others in that generation do it as well. Most of the time, they aren't talking about anybody, it's just they were so familiar with both languages and sometimes, things are better expressed in other languages. Where I live, there are words that I use in PA Deutsch because we have ONE word to describe something that takes several words in English to describe. Most in this area know what I am saying as they grew up with the same words.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Once a couple started doing this while waiting for a friend to get ready to go out. They switched toSpanish all of a sudden. Afterward, one of my friends said how rude it was. I let her know what they had been talking about--the woman's period was three days late, and she was worried shw was pregnant. I don't assume that everyone wants to talk about me all the time, so it really doesn't bother me if they switch languages.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:41 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• It is rude...HOWEVER... also be aware that it can be totally uncon. I will switch back and forth ... even when talking with friends that DON'Tspeak spanish/english and not even notice esp. after being home for a while.
    It doesn't at all mean that they are talking about you, nec. BUT it IS rude... just kinda join in the conversation or joke and say "hey, gringa here, english please"
    I'd also invest in learning spanish... so you can understand and just b/c its good to know more than 1 lang.
    My bro. is learning Czech... b/c that's where his fiance is from and he thinks its only right that he be able to at least semi communicate w/ her side of the family.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• No. However, myself and family do slip and start speaking in Hindu (sometimes Punjabi or Urdu) when are are all together in groups. It's not really a conscious thing, or purposefully done it just happens the majority of the time. Times when it does happen on purpose, it's because what is being discussed is sensitive/private and the person it is about doesn't want it shared with everyone to be privy to for whatever reason.

I know that there are those who feel that this language switch is rude and done on purpose. Most of the time however, it just happens unintentionally. I have family members that switch languages when: angry, sad, upset..etc.. because they express their feelings better in their native language, not because they are trying to be rude.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Oops... typo..

We speak "Hindi"... not... "Hindu""

(( Hindu is our religion.... Hindi is the language.... sorry about that))
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2010