what are some things a teen parent should know about a new born are a child? adult content

mizz.dudley

Asked by mizz.dudley at 2:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• LOL.. that is far too general!~ I think you should prepare yourself by reading the what to expect book, I found that helpful although, you also have to learn by understanding your child once they are here.. no amount of books or hear say could have prepared me for my son and all that came when he was born :) good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• lol! umm! coffee is ur friend!! really just get on line and books and read all the info u can on babies! but really its just live and learn once the baby gets here! we all make mistakes parenting! just sleep when the baby sleeps and remember too eat during the day! i think i went like 2 days without eating once lol! ask for help when u need it!! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Teen parents should take a parenting class or two. There are way too many things to go over as far as newborns are concerned. A lot of it is instinct, and learning as you go. Just in general, don't starve your baby, it will eat when it's hungry and stop when it's full. Don't neglect a crying baby. Don't expect your baby to sleep through the night. Newborn babies need to be warm so dress baby how you would dress and then add another layer of clothes. Lots of love an attention are needed as well. But if you're a teen parent wondering what you're going to have to deal with, go to parenting classes and read some parenting books just to get a general idea.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• this is gonna sound lame, but to enjoy EVERY DAY, and every moment even the gross and awful ones. before you know it they wont need you as much. don't rush them to grow up and take 10x more pictures than you think is normal/appropriate :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• That your needs do not come first any more. The needs of the baby come first. It doesn't matter if you want to sleep. It doesn't matter if you have time with friends.It doesn't matter if you're tired, if you're sick, if you have a headache, if you have a bad mood, or if you'd rather be doing something else. It doesn't matter if you have new clothes or get to see the latest movie or if you have money to go out. It doesn't even matter if you have grocery money for the things you'd prefer to eat. The baby's needs come first, always.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the other replies. But I say also that your baby should take priority in your life. You may have liked to party all the time, but you need to think about what's best...is it your newborn or your party lifestyle?

Not trying to criticize, but I've known people who felt partying was more important.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• That you can do this! It's hard and exhausting, but every smile from that baby makes it all worth it. I don't think teen parents need classes, EVERY parent needs classes or to be reading about parenting. No one knows all the answers. You're baby does come first all the time now, but don't forget that to be a good parent, you need to take care of yourself also. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. If you're the teen parent personally, you're already a good one, because you're on here asking advice :)
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 3:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Read books, take classes and don't be afraid to ask for help. The nurses at the hospital are your friend.

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 5:49 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Breastfeed exclusively (no formula, water, food) for 6 months and continue to breastfeed after starting solids for at least 2 years.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I'm a child of teen parents. (I"m now 49) Overall my parents took very good care of me, and did their best, but I wish they had known that sometimes they were acting like kids.....and I was a kid, and didn't really understand. It took me until I was in my 30's, and parenting my 3 boys that I realized a lot of my mom's behavior was because she was just a kid.

So I would say, remember you are a parent now, and your child doesn't realize you're young and inexperienced, try to be aware of that. I agree about taking some good parenting classes, and make sure you have lots of support, and a good mentor.

Good Luck!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:53 AM on Dec. 28, 2010