do you know anything about level 3 sex offenders?

It seems like a new one moves to my tiny Northern Minnesota town every few months, and at least 1 has re-offended and gone back to prison recently. I just read in the paper that a new one will be here in the upcoming weeks and just for kicks I took a peek at his criminal past and in his short 34 years on earth a family member tried to have him deemed legally insane and committed and his criminal offenses (other than the criminal sexual crimes that landed him in prison) vary from trespassing on school property (scary as hell) and lots of witness tampering, harassment, and telephone threat crimes and some misc. assorted goodies like burglary & obstructing legal process.

My question is... is there any recourse to him being let into my community? He breaks into homes, schools, and is a sex offender. I'd prefer he be elsewhere.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wonder if you could get the whole neighborhood to sign a petition and get him kicked out? Idk if that's even legal. Is that harassment? It's something to think about and look into though.
    Nykkii

Answer by Nykkii at 3:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• can i ask? how do you find out when one is coming to one`s community? i`m interested.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• ok, i reread it.. the paper.. :)
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• you can do a search on line in your neighborhood or sheriff.org has a list of released ones and i think try google.com you area... ive worked with s.o and i personally wouldnt trust anything about them so becareful and be safe i would report anything suspicious there is nothing wrong with being safe than sorry :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 4:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I think all sex offenders (just the pervs) need to be shot and killed.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2010

• The information is only so you are aware and can keep your family safe. If you harass him in anyway you can be prosecuted. besides would you rather he have an address where he can be found if there's an issue OR would you rather he be homeless and be able to go where ever he pls and make it difficult to take him down? Just don't go near him, keep your doors and windows locked (even install another lock or alarm on your door if you need too) and the police on speed dial. The only other thing I can think about would be to talk with his parole officer if he hasn't been released and see if he can arrange for him to move to a different location. Sorry hun but that's about all you can do.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• omg I'd never harass him or anything.... There's an offender who "likes" little boys who lives walking distance from my house. I've shown my kids his photo and his house and when we ran into him at Walmart once, they spotted him correctly and alerted me. And since I know he lives barely 2 blocks away and hurt a 4 y/o boy (I have a boy 6 and girl 4 1/2) I really beef up my playing outside security and never leave them out, even if I need to use the bathroom.

I am pretty shocked/horrified, however that someone SO mentally ill and criminally hardcore is coming nearby. I just cannot believe the signs of problems ignored in the past w/ this new guy. His family tries (and fails) to have him committed. He breaks into a school. And he sexually assaults someone. Lots of warning signs ignores, very frustrating. But I'd certainly never harass him. Calling the parole office, though... not a terrible suggestion
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2010