How can I get my pug to stop eating rocks and cat poop?

Everytime I let her out she eats rocks and when I tell her to spit it out, she swallows it fast. I don't like to inspect her stools to often but when I do, I never see any rocks. What is wrong with her and how can I get her to stop. She also eats our barn cats' poop. The world is their litter box and I can't keep up. Help!?

My3RaysofSun

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 10:56 AM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Pets

• they sell a spray you can spray anywhere and your pet will leave it alone im not sure what it is called but i know its pretty pricey. you can go a pet store that trainers pets and ask them they can tell you
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 10:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• it's what dogs do....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:59 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I can't spray the entire driveway and every time the cats potty.
    My3RaysofSun

Answer by My3RaysofSun at 11:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Try changing the food sometimes they eat odd food if they arent getting the nutrients they need. Also train them for "Leave It" Use treats let them sniff the treats say leave it and hide the treats. Take it to take the treats. Once they get that concept you can use it on other things Leave it with the kids toys leave it with rocks etc...
    jmdelan2

Answer by jmdelan2 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I read somewhere it helps there digestion. Am I wrong?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i didnt realize it was the whole driveway. yeah im not sure what to tell you but talk to a trainer or pop him everytime he does it or when he tries to do it, it will suck to follow him around while he goes to the bathroom though... or you can ignore it... i donno what to tell ya none of my dogs have ever done something like that
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 11:05 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• It can helf there digestion, but so does getting a better quality food
    jmdelan2

Answer by jmdelan2 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Lol, my mom has a pug and I grew up with a pug, they love to stick their flat faces in everything :P
    the.deadly.mrs

Answer by the.deadly.mrs at 2:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Can you not let her in the area of the driveway and the cat poo? I would fence off an area for her if you can't trust her to roam around the farm...lol We had a dog that would eat anything she could outside. We did change her diet and added vit,and minerals . That helped some but we found out she was bored. We started walking her 3x's a day and gave her toys that were fun to play with. Finding another distraction worked. So maybe try that. To teach a dog to leave it takes time but is a good way to teach them to leave things alone but it takes time, and eating to many rocks my make her impacted in the digestive tract. They don't usualy pass them all the time. Could be harmful to her if she eats to many. Cat poo won't kill her but may give her intestinal parisites. Make sure the cat is wormed..and her too. Hope this may have helped you. Good luck
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Dogs love cat poop. Never met one who didn't thing it was a special treat. My son once pooped outside (he was two) and the dog ate that before I could stop him. Yeck!

The rock thing is weird, though.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2008