How did you get your 5 month old to take longer naps?

My almost five month old son takes 3 30-40 minute naps. I know he is waking up before he gets to the deeper sleep but I can't figure out how to get him to go back to sleep without picking him up, rocking him or putting him in his swing. Anybody remember how to deal with this? I live with my inlaws right now so letting him cry it out isn't really an option and isn't he too young for that anyway?

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I let him sleep in his swing cause he would only sleep for 20 minutes at a time - I did that from month 5 to 8- he always has been a rough bad sleeper so at 5 months, this was my only option..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Usually you can't. They set their sleep patterns and will work things out eventually. Not all babies take long naps... some are just short nappers.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• I no i been bashed for this before but o well i would put a tiny bit of cereal and they would sleep a llittle longer not 10 hours more just a hour o so :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Cry it out isn't going to work. Neither is rice cereal.

It's the light! The light is the big nap destroyer? can you black out the nap room? Hang blankets over the windows.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Let him sleep in your arms or on your chest. My grandson is 2 and he still naps best when held.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• Do you lay him down to sleep awake or asleep? Usually, if they are used to being rocked/held to sleep then they will need that every time they wake up in order to get back to sleep. I would encourage you to teach him to soothe himself to sleep, but you can do that without just letting them cry it out.

Answer by missanc at 8:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2010

• i agree with pp
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:29 AM on Dec. 28, 2010